1979 GMC pickup stalls at idle

Old 09-17-06, 06:07 PM
Unhappy 1979 GMC pickup stalls at idle

Just purchased 1979 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, 2wd. Rebuilt 350 that stalls at idle, but runs great when your foot is on the gas. Tried carb cleaner and gas treatment, haven't run that more than 20 miles though. Any ideas? It does have a choke lever that doesn't seem to go all the way down, could that be it? Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 08:18 PM
May have to adjust the throttle cable. I would repair that choke first off. If you still have problems look into cleaning the carb. I imagine you plan on keeping this truck. 1979, probably has a 4 bl Rochester that needs attention. Points, just about obsolete, damn shame.

Old 09-18-06, 04:52 AM
Smile Thanks JB

Yes, we are keeping the truck. Thanks for the advice. Will try what you've suggested and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Old 09-18-06, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would look at that carb as well! Sounds like it needs adjusting. You don't want to keep driving with a bad choke either, that can casuse havok to the motor.

Old 09-18-06, 07:41 PM
Talking Many thanks

I'm lost as to where to find the throttle cable and where to adjust. Any help on that? Want to thank you for responding. We're excited to have this truck in our family. Would like to get it fixed up and running well. Newer cars aren't nearly as much fun!

Old 09-19-06, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Throttle cable is that thin steel cable that runs to your carborator (below your air filter). Where this cable connects to the carb, there is a screw where u losing it and put tension on the cable and tighten back up. This may take a few tries to get the right idle rpm. If not luck there, I suggest you seek a mechanic.

Old 09-19-06, 05:31 PM
Thumbs up Thanks all!

As an update: Seeing as how it it a 2 barrel Rochester carb, I thought that I should keep it running at an idle to maybe clean out that first stage. Kept my foot barely on the gas and it worked! It's now not stalling at idle! I found the throttle cable and it seemed to be adjusted fine so I didn't mess with it. Thanks all for your help with this! It's a project truck so I'm kind of learning. You were all wonderful!