99 Caviler - Rear Window Defogger

Old 09-20-06, 08:46 AM

Hi,

Got no power to the rear window heater grid. Fuse is good. Is there a relay hidden somewhere? Or any other suggestions....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a VOM meter to check. First check the connector where it plugs into the grid. The connector should show around 12 volts. Then switch the meter to ohms and check the grid. If it shows an open circuit - no resistance, the grid has a break in it.

Old 09-20-06, 04:36 PM

yes, I had already checked the voltage - Nothing. I didn't pay much attention to the grid, my impression was that 1 broken line wasn't critical. Under normal operation the heater runs about 10 minutes and shuts off. I'm thinking maybe its a multi fused circuit or that the device used to shut it down is bad?

Old 09-20-06, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The electronic timer could be bad, but if that was the case, you wouldn't see any voltage. Check the grid for an open. If it is open, and you can find the break, I seem to recall that there are repair kits on the market.

Old 11-02-06, 04:42 AM

I got pulled off this project for awhile - Now I need it to work. I've got no voltage and the grid has no opens. It seems to me theres a defective relay or timing circuit. Would this be located behind the dash?
Thanks Chris

Old 11-02-06, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some GM's use a circuit breaker which feeds the electronic timer. They are probably near each other. They could be under the dash in a fuse block or under the hood.

Search this Thread