tie rod ends

Old 09-20-06, 12:43 PM
tie rod ends

I need to install tie-rod ends on a 93 lumina...I've never replaced tie-rod ends....(ball joints yes)....any tips would be appreciated.... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if I have ever replaced tie rod ends on a front wheel drive but it should be the same. Main concern is to keep the adjustment the same as this affects the front end alignment. You should either measure the distance [accuratetly] or count the # of threads. It is a good idea to have the front end alignment checked soon after replacement.

You will likely need a tie rod spreader [big 2 prong fork - looks like a smaller ball joint seperator] to seperate it once you taken the nut off.

Old 09-20-06, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Easy job! As marksr said, count the threads that are sticking past the outer/inner tie rod. Mark it with a marker or however you wish. Remove the two bolts I believe, and do what mark said, you a fork tool to seperate tie rod from wheel. You could use just a big flathead screwdriver and a mallet, but just be careful. I would also recommend a alignment after.

Old 09-20-06, 03:09 PM
nap
Just to make sure, you are talking of replacing an OUTER tie rod end, correct?

an inner (many folks call an inner a socket) are so much more fun.

This job is a piece of cake.

First. break the locknut loose on the tie rod. Next, take out the cotter pin that keeps the tie rod end nut from turning. Then take off the outer tie rod end nut, completely.

Now the fun part. Take a large hammer (3-5 pound hand sledge) and whack the iron piece the tie rod end goes through. It make take two or three good whacks but that will break the tie rod end free from the steering arm. (this is easier than using the fork)

After you get that loose, use a wrench on the inner tie rod end to hold it from turning and unscrew the outer tie rod end free.

As the others have recommended, count the turns as you remove or measure from a reference point (such as the edge of the inner tie rod end to the grease zerk on the outer end or any other points you can utilize.

An alignment should be done after this.

Old 09-20-06, 04:54 PM
tie rod

Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how it turns out...