cv replacement

Old 09-22-06, 01:56 PM
cv replacement

I have a decent looking and very good running Nova, 1988 that gets 30 some miles per gallon.

It is now in the shop getting a tie rod replaced. Mechanic told me that the axles inner CV joint is going bad and that if I had to have them fixed I may as well junk the car. Is this a valid statement and if so why? Is the cost that much just to junk the car?

Thanks for your wanted help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-06, 02:28 PM
Sounds like he wants the car. Did he quote the repair? Auto Zone is probably $59 for the half shaft.

Old 09-22-06, 03:04 PM
nap
That's a pretty good guess kklukas. I looked it up just for fun and they priced at $59.99 each.

The only possibility I can think of is that this vehicle has an inherint problem that is found when replaceing a half shaft. Unless that is the case, I can't see any reason to not replace them as needed.

Old 09-22-06, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by nap
That's a pretty good guess kklukas. I looked it up just for fun and they priced at $59.99 each.

The only possibility I can think of is that this vehicle has an inherint problem that is found when replaceing a half shaft. Unless that is the case, I can't see any reason to not replace them as needed.
He made it sound as if the labor was going to be cost prohibitative,does this sound right?

Old 09-22-06, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by nap

I forgot to mention that he suggested that I drive the car until it stopped, then junk it.

Old 09-22-06, 05:55 PM
nap
I am not terribly familiar with this particular car but most cars with front wheel drive have a plunging tripod type inner CV joint. They generally are near indestructable becasue they do so little. The bulk of their action is to plunge in and out to allow for the suspension travel (they allow the axle to shorten or lengthen as needed by the suspension travel)

They do not change the angle of the shaft a great amount like the outer that allows for steering. When an inner goes bad, in its' early stages, all that they really do is stick. This can cause a popping or thud or thump sound as they pop free from the wear area they are stuck in. I can't say I have ever seen one come apart though. I would think if they stuck hard enough, the would actually pull the shaft from the trans, causing a real PITA.

To test them, I would usually find a big empty park lot and drive in a slow circle. Then accelerate to cause the car to roll. If you hear a "pop" or "thud", the inner joint is generally the culprit. Reverse rotation to check the other side.

If it was minimal, I would tend to not freak out about it. If it sounds or feels severe, I would repair as neccessary. Even with some labor added in (I used to be able to replace a chevy citation half shaft in 1/2 hour or less from pulling it into the bay to setting it back on the ground), maybe 1 or 2 hours the repair is still under $300 per side (closer to $200 I would think)

If the car is worth it to you, get it fixed. If not, then what the mechanic suggested is not that far out of line. Remember, he has seen the car, we haven't

Old 09-22-06, 06:24 PM
I think an 88 Nova is a Toyota Corolla and unless it has at least a gazillion thousand miles, fix it and it will go on until you get sick of looking at it. If you will check the cv boots and they have holes, tears etc. and the auto has been in an invironment where sand dirt grit/whatever or when you do the parking lot slow sharp turn and hear the popping you need to get them replaced. If it aint poppin, dont fix it it ain't broke. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-22-06, 07:08 PM
nap
The popping would be the outer joint, not the inner. But I believe you are right about the corolla part.

Old 09-23-06, 11:23 AM
Repair Note

I have replaced a few half shafts. It is not rocket science. A dealer is not needed. Any small shop (reputable) can do it. The only thing I can think of would be massive rust somewhere. Again if its a good car, its an investment. The repair is for sure less than 1 month payment on a new one. Yes that Nova is an inport. Good Luck!

Old 09-23-06, 02:29 PM
nova

Thanks for all your help, I feel a lot better knowing that I can have my car fixed with and arm and a leg going missing.

Search this Thread