Interior light & radio 95 Dodge Dakota

Old 09-23-06, 04:32 PM
Interior light & radio 95 Dodge Dakota

The radio (display light and the radio itself) and the interior lights do not work. Everything was working fine and then both just stopped working. I've checked all of the fuses and they are good. The key in with the door open causes the buzzer to activate. I even removed the radio fuse and checked it manually.

The interior lights are not listed in the owners manual unless they should be on the circuit with the cluster lights (they work). I installed the radio 1 1/2 yrs ago so I know there isn't an extra inline fuse. Even if there was it wouldn't affect the overhead interior light.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-06, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There should be a multifunction type relay that controls the majority of these accessory options. I would check your Haynes manual to see the location. If there is a faulty relay, nothing will work right.

Old 09-23-06, 05:36 PM
How many relays would there be? Would they all be close (or on) the fuse block?

How would a relay only affect the interior dome light, radio display light and radio? The radio at least is on a separate circuit. Everything else seems to working correctly - dash lights, turn signals, and all exterior lights.

Thanks again

Old 09-23-06, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr
How many relays would there be? Would they all be close (or on) the fuse block?

How would a relay only affect the interior dome light, radio display light and radio? The radio at least is on a separate circuit. Everything else seems to working correctly - dash lights, turn signals, and all exterior lights.

Thanks again
The relay probably will not be on the fuse block, but near it under the drivers side dash.

Have you checked voltage to any of these? Should be 12vDC to the dome and radio. Also, check voltage to the fuse. If voltage is there, then there is a problem between the fuse box and the radio/dome.

This may be a stupid question, and forgive me if you already told me, but have y ou tried replacing the dome light bulb?

Old 09-23-06, 07:35 PM
I haven't tried replacing the bulbs. There are 2 lights - one overhead by the temp gauge and one near the kick panel of the passenger door. Neither work. According to my daughter, the lights and radio problems surfaced at the same time. I'll check voltages tomorrow.

I'm still not sure how a relay would only affect these 3 things (radio, radio display lights which come on when the dash lights are on and the interior dome). I don't have the manual at hand but I believe there was one relay in the diagram. Could this be the one you are referring to, or would there be others? How would I check a relay?

Old 09-23-06, 07:39 PM
It is possible for these items to go out at the same time. If there was a power surge or flux in the wires, it might have blown that bulb and/or fried the radio. Also, this one is a kicker cause my wife is having a similar problem with her Stratus. Her door locks, dome lights, and trunk release dont work, and her problem is a faulty BCM (body control module). There are a host of things that tie into this module. It all happened right after some thiefs broke into her car and stole her stereo. Not sure if that would be your issue, but just something else for you to think about. Hopefully it isn't the BCM in your case, not even sure if your truck has one or not. They are like $400 from the dealer.

Old 09-23-06, 07:51 PM
Haha, lighter fuse takes out a stereo? Well, anything is possible in an American made vehicle!

Old 09-23-06, 08:03 PM
Well, I checked all of the fuses in the fuse block earlier today. All were OK.

Out of curiosity, I just went outside to see if the lighter works and it does.

I'll check for voltage tomorrow.

Old 09-24-06, 09:22 AM
There is another set of fuses under the hood. This box contains a 5A & 20A std. blade fuse, some larger fuses about 1/2 inch square, and some relays (headlights, etc.). The 5 amp was blown. According to the label inside the lid of the box, the 5A is for accessories when the ignition is off. This evidently feeds the dome light and the radio memory among other things.

I replaced the fuse and had to reset the radio.

Thanks for all of your help.