1999 Ford ZX2 "Cool" - Brake light stays on

Old 09-25-06, 05:35 PM
1999 Ford ZX2 "Cool" - Brake light stays on

Hello! I have a 1999 Ford ZX2 "cool" and the brake lights stay on after the car is turned off. If I pull the brake up, I hear a click and the brakes go off. If I let it go, the lights come back on. Right now, I have a box holding up the brake while it's not in use, but I would like to fix it, if possible.

Thanks,
-- Jaxon

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-06, 06:38 AM
I had that problem on a car way back in the seventies. There is a switch that the brake pedal engages when you push the pedal. Probably the switch is worn and needs to be replaced. As I recall it was a fairly simple job except for the awkwardness of working in the pedal area.

It could also be just a simple matter of adjusting the tension of the brake pedal return spring.

Check a repair manual and find a detail of the brake pedal area. If you don't have a good repair manual, sometimes they are available at the library.

Edit: I was looking up something at Autozone and saw they have repair guides online! Here's a link to your brake light repair:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/13/d9/54/0900823d8013d954.jsp

Last edited by leewmeister; 09-26-06 at 11:00 AM.