Honda Prelude quitting

Old 09-26-06, 08:10 PM
Unhappy Honda Prelude quitting

Dual carb engine 1.8 litre.
What happens is when the engine warms up the engine quits. Sometimes it will start right away other times I have to wait about 5 minutes before it will re-start.
It will allways start in the mornings with out fail.
I have tried re-bleeding the coolant system as I am thinking its getting air locks, which can cause a vapour lock. I have replaced the thermostat and upper rad hose at different times.
This would explain the hot no start problem.

New parts installed.
1) fuel pump
2) ignition module
3) New ignition coil wires
4) Fuel, filters, air filter.....etc.etc.......

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-06, 10:35 PM
it most likely will be an electrical problem not related to vapor or air pockets at all, most likely some electrical component is just quitting after a while running it could be coil pack or ecm. nothing to do with actual engine temp assuming engine is running at normal temp , below 200 F.

Old 09-27-06, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
I'm with Lou. First thing I would do when it quits and won't restart is pull a spark plug lead and check for spark (carefully!); that will narrow it down. Forget about the air pockets and vapor lock, you'll just be chasing your tail unless the car is overheating to the point of stopping, but you didn't mention overheating..

Old 09-27-06, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
it most likely will be an electrical problem not related to vapor or air pockets at all, most likely some electrical component is just quitting after a while running it could be coil pack or ecm. nothing to do with actual engine temp assuming engine is running at normal temp , below 200 F.

Thanks a bunch, I'll have to check out the electrical stuff.
As mentioned it has a new Coil and a new ignition module which the previous owner installed.

Old 09-29-06, 06:08 PM
I had to replace the Ignition module, seemed to be a faulty one. The previous owner had replaced about 8 months ago.

The car is not quitting now, but sometimes I experience a start problem, just have to pump the gas several times brfore I turn the key to get it going.

Old 09-29-06, 08:45 PM
Prelude problem

Pumping the gas pedal a couple of times is often a standard starting procedure on a carb setup. It allows the accelerator pump to prime the engine. Anything past that could indicate the choke flap isn't closing all the way.

Just completely depress the gas pedal and remove the air filter. Check the choke for full closing.

Hope this helps,

Bob