Hub removal 04 Camary

Old 09-27-06, 06:34 PM
Question Hub removal 04 Camary

Hi, I'm trying to adjust the rear brakes on a 04 Camary with drum brakes. Theres no screws holdining drum on, and tapping with hammer doesen't help. What's the secret to getting the drum off?? Thanks, Jerbear

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Look for a couple of threaded holes in the face of the drum. Not sure what size they'll be (US cars are nearly always 1/4-20) but if you thread a couple of 2" or so bolts into the holes evenly it will push the drum off the hub. A little penetrating oil around the hub will also speed things up.

Old 09-29-06, 03:03 PM
thats right

Look for the two holes in the drum were some threaded bolts go into not sure of the pitch on the threads but they are metric.
Also I dont want to insult you but make sure parking brake is not on but that is far fetched but possible.

Old 09-30-06, 10:36 PM
Unhappy toyota hub removal

Thanks Michael and Tow guy, I recall seeing 2 small holes in the hub, will try to get a screw to fit in each on and try to push the hub off. New cars make me feel stupid, what's wrong with the old way of hub just slipping on tho the bolts and a star wheel to adjust the brakes. Thanks again, Jerbear

Old 10-01-06, 06:53 AM
one more thing

There is no need to remove drums on a brake adjustment there is a slot on back of backing plate covered by a rubber dust boot.
Being such a new car and being a Toyota I am sure the shoes have many more miles left on them.
Also the two bolt holes have been there a long time my 77 datsun had that setup.

Old 10-01-06, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Good catch, MV; I was focused on the hub removal question. Jerbear - they've been putting those little threaded helper holes in drums on many cars for as long as I can remember; you would only notice them if you needed them.