Recommendations on Auto Repair Books?

Old 09-28-06, 10:46 AM
Smile Recommendations on Auto Repair Books?

Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone could recommend some good auto repair books for following along with basic auto repair and maintenance.

Basically the kind of hands-on things that I would get in an auto repair class like flushing the radiator, checking the wheel bearings, brakes and things like that.

Thanks very much for any tips!

-Barb

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 08:33 PM
I always recommend going to Advance or AutoZone and purchase a Haynes or Chilton manual for the vehicle you plan to work on, they are about $12.00 and cover about everything the non-pro mechanic will need. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-29-06, 02:15 AM
I have found that the Chilton and Haynes books haven't given me enough details. On the other hand, I have bought several car manufacturer's service manual over the years, and they did give me the details I needed. But, the latter are very expensive.

My advice is to first try using the internet to find out what you want when you want it. That's what I've starting doing. There are forums and articles on the internet for car maintenance with folks willing to help out. Second, visit your local library and scan their Chilton and Haynes books to see what they contain for your vehicle.

The first time I changed the oil in a vehicle, I drained the transmission fluid by mistake. Working on vehicles is like that. You can save yourself money, and get some personal satisfaction, but you will inevitably have frustrations. On the other hand, I have found it more frustrating dealing with some repair folks over the years.

Old 09-29-06, 04:41 AM
I have had on old text book like the kind they study from in highschool and I still resort to it often to get a good picture of how the system works. My Haynes gives me a more specific look at the vehicle in question.
The down side with a text is it costs quite a bit but will pay itself of in the years to come.

Old 09-29-06, 05:22 PM
I bought a 92 Lexus SC400 a long time ago and also bought a complete set of service manuals, 2 manuals Hard cover 1200 pages each. they were $176.00. However, when you own a Lexus the dealer thinks you will pay for anything, their quote for brake pad only change $155 front $145 rear, my cost 2hr labor and $82 parts, Powersteering quote, $1600, fix $29, A/C $2000 fix $600. Get the Manuals and. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-30-06, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
I think Barb was talking in a general sense and not necessarily a specific vehicle.

Now, Barb, don't throw things at me and complain to the mods, but you might want to check out books in the "Dummy" Series, Auto Care for Dummies, et al. There are some others from different publishers but are generally similar; basic info for the average car owner.

Old 09-30-06, 06:43 AM
the chilton and hayes manuals can be a good basic guide. it is written well for the do it yourselfer.....

If you have additional questions you can ask auto parts stores as most of them are listed with mitchell on demand or alldata and can look up the information.

The factoiry service manual is still the best and can be purchased at your local dealer for around $125.00 for your specific vehicle.

Old 10-02-06, 06:37 AM
You can also go to Autozone.com. They have free access to repair manuals online for many years and models. You might find your car in their listings.