97 explorer #5 cyl. missfire help

Old 09-30-06, 10:30 PM
Unhappy 97 explorer #5 cyl. missfire help

Hi I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Control Trac 6cyl (not the SOHC) that just failed its smog test. The car has been sitting in my driveway for about a year and I just started it up to renew the registration and get the smog check so I can sell it. The guys at the shop also did my brakes at the same time so they checked the code to see why it failed and it came up as a cylinder #5 missfire. They said that would require taking the engine apart to fix. Any suggestions. It was working fine before I got my new car but when I drove it down there I noticed it had a rough idle "After" it got up to normal operating temp. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-06, 09:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
New spark plugs and wires/coil?

Old 10-01-06, 10:07 AM
You can do a compression check on your engine. If that cylinder is over 100 lbs and within 10 psi of the other cylinders I would have to ask why major engine work would be necessary.

Compression testers can be rented pretty reasonable at an auto parts store.

Given the compression on the engine is satisfactory it would likely be ignition or injector.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-01-06, 08:02 PM
Thanks I'll try both suggestions tomorrow morning after work.

Old 10-01-06, 08:18 PM
Heard that before

Same thing, same vehicle. My aunt took it in to the Ford Dealer ship. They ran a "compression test" and found a weak cyl. OK they wanted 6K bucks to put a new motor. OK, I told her I could do it for 2K bucks (aftermarket rebuilt engine). So I get the truck in my shop and start to tare it down. When I removed the upper intake I saw that a RAT had chewed the "weak cyl" injector wire into. HOLD UP, I pulled out my compression tester and all 6 cyl had nothing wrong with them. No weak cyl just a chewed into injector wire. Fixed the wire and had it back running in 2 hrs. I would start with plugs and wires as mentioned above. Then compression check......................