turn signal arm broke off!

Old 10-02-06, 04:57 AM
turn signal arm broke off!

I have a 97 plymouth voyager and yesterday I broke the turn signal arm off. This also turns on the wiper blades. It broke off right at the column. I was able to push it in temporarily and I can use it that way until I get it fixed. Was wondering how difficult this was to replace. I am sure the part alone will be expensive. Not sure if you can get this at a junkyard or not? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The steering wheel will have to come off to get to it. If you have air bags, don't do it yourself. Bite the bullet and have the dealer replace it.

Old 10-02-06, 10:30 AM
The arm is $80 at the dealer. Any idea how long it would take to do this. I'd like a rough idea so I know how many $$ approx. for this. I'm hoping it is only a couple hour job. Thanks

Old 10-02-06, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know what the "book" on it is, but I would be surprised if it couldn't be done in under 2 hours.

Old 10-03-06, 04:26 AM
I was looking at the repair manual for this vehicle last night and it doesn't look like there is much to it. All it says is to disconnect negative of the battery for the air bags, then remove the botom cover on the steering wheel and then remove the electrical connectors and the two screws holding the switch. It doesn't mention anything about removing the steering wheel to do this. Maybe I'll attempt to do it myself once I get the part. Thanks for the help

Old 10-03-06, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
I'm going to echo Goldstar's warning that air bags are dangerous to work around even if the wheel itself doesn't have to come off, so be very careful if you attempt the repair. Also, if I'm not mistaken there is a delay between when the battery is disconnected and when the bags are truly disabled. Check that.