Mercury Grand Marq, no heat...

Old 10-02-06, 10:00 AM
Mercury Grand Marq, no heat...

96 Merc Grand Marquis, 4.6, getting no heat out of defroster or floor heater, have inside heat temp set to 85 degrees, all digital, blower is working fine, just cold air and no heat. Was first told it was a heater control valve mounted on firewall, dealership told me there is no heater control valve for that car and said they couldn't help me unless they keep it for diagnostics. Anyone ever had this problem or something similar that could help lead me to something other than taking to the dealership???? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 10:20 AM
have you checked the coolant level in the car? What does the temp guage on the car read?

by chance, do you have coolant leaking onto the flooboard of the car or do you smell coolant? If so, you may have a bad heater core, which is a sort of mini radiator.

Old 10-02-06, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Most cars nowadays have no means to directly regulate the hot water flowing through the heater core, The temp is regulated by the various doors that open and close to mix hot and cold air to produce the temperature you desire. Much of these are vacuum operated. You'll need to do some poking aorund under the dash to try to locate the actuator that isn't doing what it is supposed to. If one of the Ford experts comes along they may be able to point you more directly to the likely suspects.

Old 10-02-06, 07:27 PM
How do your heater hoses feel?

Old 10-02-06, 07:53 PM
I do not smell coolant anywhere, outside the vehicle or inside so that rules out the heater core. The hoses feel hot and normal. I'm leaning towards the actuator as I have heard more info today about the vacuum thing. I do appreciate the assistance. Thanks.

Old 10-03-06, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Please post back what you find for the general education of members.

Old 10-03-06, 03:19 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by nogade
96 Merc Grand Marquis, 4.6, getting no heat out of defroster or floor heater, have inside heat temp set to 85 degrees, all digital, blower is working fine, just cold air and no heat. Was first told it was a heater control valve mounted on firewall, dealership told me there is no heater control valve for that car and said they couldn't help me unless they keep it for diagnostics. Anyone ever had this problem or something similar that could help lead me to something other than taking to the dealership???? Thanks.
try flushing the heater core by removing the heater hoses and using garden hose to run water through it, just hold the hose up against in & out tubes.

Old 10-03-06, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a broken blend door but have you tried the EATC self test?

EATC Self Test

1. Perform the EATC Functional Test. Record all error codes displayed during the test.

2. The control assembly will detect electrical malfunctions occurring during the self test.

3. Ensure engine is warm (at least 49C (120F) coolant temperature). To display the error codes for the malfunction detected, initiate the self test by pushing OFF and FLOOR simultaneously and then AUTOMATIC within two seconds. The test may run as long as 20 seconds, during which time the display will be blank. If the display is blank for more than 20 seconds, go to System Diagnosis when Self-Test and Functional Test indicates NO ERROR.

4. The Self Test can be initiated at any time with the resulting error codes being displayed. Normal operation of the system stops when Self Test is activated. To exit self-test and restart the system, push the blue button. Self Test should be deactivated before turning off the system. Refer to the Error Code Key in the following chart for an explanation of error codes.

5. If error codes appear during the EATC Functional Test, follow the diagnosis procedures outlined in the Error Code Key for each error code recorded.

6. If a malfunction exists but no error code appears during the test in Step 1, refer to Diagnosis When Self-Test Indicates No Error Found.
ERROR CODE KEY
Error Code Detected Condition Troubleshooting/Repair Procedure
01 Replace Control Assembly
02 Blend Door Problem
03 In-Vehicle Temp Sensor Open or Short
04 Ambient Temp Sensor Open or Short
05 Sunload Sensor Short
888 Testing Complete No Test Failure
NOTE:
The in-vehicle temperature must be greater than 10C (50F) for all error codes shown to be valid.