Boiling 1995 Civic Ex

Old 10-02-06, 10:59 PM
Angry Boiling 1995 Civic Ex

I got a civic 1995, done around 90K. this car got a strange problem. If I drive with AC on, the temprature guage remains a bit below the half (which I suppose is normal). I have checked the radiator fan and it goes on whenver temprature guage is there. But after I turn off the car, I can hear water boiling in the radiator. I changed radiator cap to 1.1 (from 0.9). If I drive without AC, everything is normal. Now how do I know if I have the 'right' radiator in my car? And is 1.1 cap OK?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
Well, you went from a 13 psi cap to a 16 psi cap. The efffect would be that the water would be capable of achieving a higher temperature before it actually boiled. Your engine, and the coolant inside, reaches its highest temperature shortly after shutting off. What should be happening is that some of the coolant should be moving into the recovery tank and then as the engine cools it should be drawn back into the radiator to maintain a "full" level. Provided the engine temperature remains in the proper operating range, I don't think you have a problem.

Should be able to check the application listings at any parts place to see what is supposed to be on it.

Don't forget to have your timing belt replaced at the recommended interval in the owner's manual (which is probably about where you are); a broken one on that car is fatal.

Old 10-06-06, 06:57 AM
Angry :(

Man it wasnt that straight. I finally got some bux and went to honda. They said that the whole problem is due to faulty gasket. So gotta change that.

Old 10-06-06, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Head gasket?