Gas & Temp gauge intermittent

Old 10-03-06, 09:25 AM
Gas & Temp gauge intermittent

Wife's 1998 Infinity I30 started showing intermittent false readings on the temperature and gas gauges. Temp gauge runs up to H but I can still touch upper radiator hose bare handed. Gas gauge will jump up to 7/8 full yet only have about 4 gallons.

Have recently had timing belts changed, new hoses, transmission flush, revolution sensor replaced, all after above malfunctions. Sounds electrical, i.e. grounding, any suggestions on where to look?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
My guess would be somewhere with a common location of wiring for the temp and gas gauges. It does sound like a short; both systems work on resistence. With "0" resistence on the temp sender, the gauge will normally peg on hot. I would suspect a gas fault would do likewise. You may have to sit someone in the drivers seat to monitor the gauges while you wiggle wires, harnesses, & connectors. Unfortunately the fault could be somewhere inaccessible that you can't reach to wiggle. Might be worth researching to see if there are any TSB's (technical service bulletins) relating to the problem.

Old 10-03-06, 09:38 AM
Thanks, the darned things won't just quit, they have to act up and then clear up. Since the 70's came and went, I'm not much into working on cars except for minor stuff, do you know where I might go about finding grounding points?

Old 10-03-06, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Depends on what you mean by grounding points. You almost certainly have a problem either in the engine compartment area or under the dash since a wiring problem in the trunk, for instance, might affect the fuel gauge but wouldn't likely cause any temp gauge errors.