89 ford tarus

Old 10-04-06, 11:41 AM
Unhappy 1989 ford taurus automatic

hi i start my car up, put it in drive, when i pull out it stays in low, i have to pull off the road let it set, then pull out still in low gear do this a couple of times before it finnally starts shifting the way it's suspose to .what could be wrong? its a 1989 ford taurus sedan 3 liter atuomatic

Last edited by honeecone; 10-04-06 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-06, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
How long since the last time it had a tranny fluid and filter change? The Taurus's and Sable's of that vintage were known to blow the transmission in some cases with less than 40,000 miles on them. If a service doesn't help you'll need a tranny shop to diagnose it; be prepared for bad news.

Old 10-04-06, 06:36 PM
89 ford taurus

i just poured in a can of seafoam in it has to run 200 miles then i have to drain it out and put in new fluid and filter and see what happens someone also said that it might be the vaccum or mogerlor lol spilt wrong he said if the car still shifts that it cant be the tranny going bad

Old 10-05-06, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
LOL. Trust me, plenty of cars that still shift have bad trannnies in them. We tow them to tranny shops all the time. Besides which, your car DOESN'T shift, correct? I wouldn't count on the mechanic-in-a-can doing any good, but at the age of the vehicle probably won't hurt it. "Vacuum modulator" is the term you were trying, I think; I'm not sure you vehicle has one.

Old 10-05-06, 02:45 PM
1989 ford taurus

my car does shift it stays stuck in low for a bid like about two miles then it starts shifting normal when i hit the speed its to shift in its when i pull out i stays in low for a bit i said that it shifts in my 1 letter

Old 10-05-06, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Sory if I wasn't clear. My point was that you have to coax it to shift normally, so essentially it's not shifting. Bottom line is I think it's on borrowed time. The Sable and Taurus trannies were crap right from the factory.

Old 10-10-06, 03:38 PM
once that i go around a mile and half while stuck in low gear then it starts shifting like there was nothing ever wrong my speedometer stays at zero until it starts to shift right i dont really believe its the tranny going i ll have to ask around some more thanks if you think or hear of anything on this please let me know (oh and my car is a six cylinder thought it was an 8)

Old 10-10-06, 06:02 PM
you may want to consider a speed sensor try first if the speedometer isnt working.

Old 10-11-06, 03:43 AM
Group Moderator
Ah, the plot thickens. As rob says, possible speed sensor. Not sure the setup on the Taurus, but if the speed sensor for the speedometer also supplies a signal for shifting that could be the culprit.

Old 10-11-06, 08:41 PM
bad tranny

I am betting on the tranny. If the speed sensor drops out, won't he get a CEL? Unless he has a digital dash, the speedo is cable driven and unrelated to the speed sensor except they are driven by the same nylon gear. I think something is wrong internally.

Old 10-12-06, 03:58 AM
Group Moderator
Well, anytime anybody says Taurus (or Sable) I immediately think "tranny" (or head gasket). Not sure about the Taurus setup or whether cable/electronic, but my wife's old Camry was a regular instrument panel and had electronic speedo via the speed sensor. Ditto my nieces Saturn that I had to replace an odo gear in.

Honecone, any way you cut it, I'm afraid it's going to need a professional diagnosis. We're talking stuff that's not very DIY-able. I would be asking around for opinions on a good tranny shop to have it checked out. They'll know the answers to all these question marks.

Old 10-12-06, 04:04 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, checked AutoZone.com and you were correct peabees; on the Taurus the standard speedo is cable-driven and the digital is by wire. So, honeecone, if it's digital MAYBE speed sensor. If not, two different problems, although the speedo cable connects to the tranny, just not in any manner that would affect shifting. I wouldn't bet on the speed sensor turning on the CEL; on GM's, at least, the tranny faults don't always turn on the light. Fords?

Old 10-14-06, 06:08 PM
ok i have cable and my speedometer does not work but when it finally does shift then my speedometer wobbles back and forth so where is the speed sensor on my car

Old 10-24-06, 11:36 AM
i don't know.... HELP PLEASE!!!!

i have a 1989 ford taurus 3l automactic transmission i have already put in a new filter and new tranny fluid and a new speedometer sensor. When I start my car, and put it in drive it is stuck in low gear, then it finally shifts approx. after 2 miles like there was no problem to begin with. The speedometer doesnt move, once in gear, the speedometer needle will move back and forth. I put in a new sensor, and it is still doing the "bobbling" of meter, and doesnt shift. Could it be the vacuum modulator? And where could I find it on my vehicle, If it's not that could it be the tort convertor, How will I know if its one or the other, or both, Is there a test or something I can perform to figure this out other than taking it to the shop? If this is not it, then what do you think it could be? I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Old 10-24-06, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
unfortunately these cars are VERy well known and famous for dropping trannies left and right

see how the fluid smells and looks, if it is anything but bright red and like new smell then its not a good thing right there

we have replaced many trannies in these cars its just a really common problem with these we buy them up dirt cheap with blown trannies and put good used lower mile ones in them, another issue with these cars are the engine/trans mounts are trashed in them, wear out prematurely and they are hydraulic ones (filled with fluid and work kind of like a shock absorber in a way) we have a 95 taurus right now that we put a good trans into and we have to replace the engine mounts in it still we also picked up another 95 or so we have to go get also with bad trans and we are going ot take parts off it for the other one like the radiator and such in which is another common problem area on these cars

not many are left running around these days most ppl give them to the junkyards if they cant afford a tranny for them

we can find them for around 300 or so

the AXOD model tranny is usually what is in them, but not all of them

good luck

Old 10-24-06, 05:18 PM
the fluid wasnt bad when i changed it and it didnt smell birnt either

Old 11-02-06, 03:31 PM
just wanted to let you know that i finnally fixed my car all by myself it was the the govenor works great and it cost me nothing call around for the part ford stopped making them and had a friend who had an old tranny laying around and called him and he gave me the part