1988 cadillac eldorado

Old 10-04-06, 05:45 PM
1988 cadillac eldorado

alright so heres the situation, i usually build lawnmowers but now ive moved into buying cars dirt cheap and turning them into 1 weekend mudders out at mudfest. so i got my hands on a cadillac eldorado that ran great but the throttle response was kinda slugish. so my genious self came up with the idea to clean the entire carb including fuel injectors and some other electrical stuff in acitone. carb came out clean as new but i didnt hook it back up till a few days later. (dont know if that makes a difference) well when i put it back on the fuel injectors wouldnt release any gas so i checked the fuel pump and it works fine. figuring i just needed to get my hands on some new injectors. after cranking the motor for hours (not constant) trying to figure out what the problem is and dumping about a half a gallon of gas down the manifold trying to figure out if my fuel pump is any good i went to the junk yard. got the new to me but yet still used injectors hooked them up and now all i get is a little spurt of gas right when the motor first turns over so i sat there looking around and thinking and noticed the engine control system light is on so i disconected the battery figuring it would reset the computer but still i got nothing still does the same thing and the light comes back on after about 2 seconds of cranking. so after all of that what is my problem i cant figure this out im use to a one cylinder and sometime two motor with plain old carbs none of this first generation fuel injection crap. if someone could please help me out that would be more then greatfil because mudfest is coming up quick and i still need to lift it but i dont want to waste my time on something that aint fixable.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-06, 06:34 PM
Kid:

Using acetone on electrical stuff is a little iffy. What you're referrring to as the carb is probably the throttle body. Acetone shouldn't have destroyed anything there.

I would suggest, with everything hooked up, turn on your key for about a minute, then turn off the key. Go the the rail that feeds the injectors. There should be a little schroeder valve on it. That's where you check for rail pressure. Take off the cap and depress the little release gizmo with your ink pen. If it has pressure it'll spew up a little, so watch yourself. Hope it has pressure - that would mean your pump is working and the pressure regulator is holding the pressure. Then you can start checking for spark.

Hope this helps to get you started,

Bob

Old 10-04-06, 06:56 PM
i checked my pump its working fine so i know its getting fuel to the injectors but it wont allow any fuel to come out it like shuts down and wont let the gas out if i press in the little valve on the fuel line while its being turned over it spits gas every where. so i know it has something to do with the injectors not the fuel pump. i still havent checked the spark... should i? because im guessing that if theres no spark somethings shutting everything down so i would need to find that but im not a car machanic so i have little knowledge on what im doing

Old 10-04-06, 07:23 PM
Doesn't sound like the computer is signaling the firing of the injectors. It does sound like you have the rail pressurized, which is good. Anyone doing this should remember to turn off the key when depressing the test port valve.

If you had it running before you cleaned up the parts, what electrical stuff did you clean up with the acetone?

What engine are you working on?

Bob

Last edited by marbobj; 10-05-06 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 12:32 PM
its the 4.5 v8 the only electrical stuff i put into the cleaner was the injectors and the little thing on the back of the carb that sits against the throttle bar that sontrols how much air is going into the motor. but the thing is i replaced the injectors and that little thing on the back of it but still i get nothing. thanks for all the help but i wish i could just get the damn thing fixed.

mike

Search this Thread