carb problem?

Old 10-05-06, 10:35 AM
carb problem?

have a 86 F-150 a year old rebuilt carb ,started about six months ago and gotten worse is slugish when cold vacuum hoses and electrical all rigged when I got it but havnet changed anything no noticable vacuum leaks. single barrel carb pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds off to replace freeze plugs reused same gasket but not loose wasnt tightend right after reseach but was awhile ago and no noticeable changes after work was done? need to rebuild carb? take it back? any help would be appricated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-06, 10:51 AM
choke

I don't undestand your statement, but I will offer an observation that may help.

Most people have fogotten to set the choke after years of starting a fuel injected car. With a carb., first push the gas pedel to the floor and release. This action closes the choke and injects a bit of gas down the throat. Now turn the key.

With a cold engine, check the funtion of your choke.

Old 10-05-06, 11:06 AM
it idle perfect but after putting it in gear to accerate it just slugs untill warm but warm meaning has gotten longer

Old 10-05-06, 11:15 AM
the vacuum lines and electrical were all rigged to the old carb but when replaced carb ran good but started sluggin when cold. over heated it with a bad water pump and pulled the intake and exhust of to replace the plugs reuesed the same gasket but read later there is a certain why of tighting exhast. if I havnt changed any of the vacum and wiring why would that be the problem but unsure maybe. just finised redoing the cluth hydralics and ready to give up on it need help frustated