1994 Voyager AC By-Pass

Old 10-09-06, 11:35 AM
1994 Voyager AC By-Pass

I have a 1994 Plymouth Voyager. The AC Compressor is shot. Lots of noise & smoke. Not worth the repair. I would like to simply disable it. Can I simply replace the belt with a smaller one and bypass the compressor?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-06, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes you can. Thats what alot of people do when it's not worth fixing. Though I could not tell you what size, but I'm sure a mechanic could.

Old 10-09-06, 11:49 AM
Thanks! I will try that.

Old 10-09-06, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
If you go to a parts store and have them look up your vehicle "without a/c" they should be able to figure out the right one. May or may not work depending on how the belt is routed as the compressor pulley could interfer in the plan. The alternative is to remove the compressor entirely so it's out of the way, but you would need to have it sucked out to properly dispose of the refrigerant.

Old 10-10-06, 09:30 PM
Thanks Tow Guy.

I will be stopping by the parts dept tomorrow.

Old 10-18-06, 08:10 PM
I need a diagram of the belt routing for the 1994 Voyager, 3.3L without AC. I took the Clutch off, that was the broken part. I still want to get a belt to fit without the AC. Having trouble locating a diagram.

Old 10-18-06, 09:03 PM
try going to www.autozone.com, then loading your vehicle info, then go under Repair Info, then Specifications, the there should be a link for belts. If not, type in belts in the Search field within the Specifications window.

Old 10-19-06, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the response. I just went there. Great site for info. Bad news is the diagram does not match what is under the hood. I am getting frustrated with this now. I went to buy a Belt for "no AC" and the diagram on the belt packaging was not the same as under the hood.

The AC on my vehicle is up front on top. Below that and a little back is the water pump. Below that and back further is the Crank shaft. Up top in the back is the alternator, down low is the Power Steering pump. There is a tensioner and an Idler. Could I be wrong? yes. But I am pretty sure that is the setup.

Confused.

Old 10-20-06, 07:40 AM
junkyard

Get a junkyard compressor with a free-spinning clutch.

Tell them what you are doing, and that you don't want a good compressor and will not try to cash in on the replacement warranty. They may go to the aluminum recycle pile and give you one that another customer brought back.

Here's a long shot: I had a '71 Chevy that had an electrical fault in the ac; the compressor was ALWAYS engaged. We had to unplug the compressor electrical connector or get even worse mileage. Maybe you clutch is fine but your compressor is locked-up?

Old 10-21-06, 05:25 AM
If the a/c isn't noisy when disengaged, just pull the plug on the harness at the a/c, and let it freewheel, but I'm guessing it was noisy when not engaged also.

Mike.B

Old 10-23-06, 08:32 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the replies. Here is where it is at. The clutch is shot, toast, finito. I pulled it off and it fell into many little pieces. The Sleave that fits onto the compressor was busted right off. So I have a compressor with no clutch & pully on it. The hex bolts to take off the end plate of the compressor are stripped. There is some of the pully sleave stuck in there.

I may be able to get it out. Then I guess you are suggesting a used clutch & Pully?

I'll go with that.

What I REALLY wanted to do was to get a belt that simply bypassed the compressor pully.

Old 10-24-06, 08:24 AM
Found belt

I found your belt for a 94 3.3L voyager w/o a/c

http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewire/baseline/quote.jsp?partner=drivewire&product=W1000-164131&application=1914892&year=1994

If link doesn't work it's a Gates belt # W1000-164131 $34

Old 10-29-06, 08:07 PM
Finding the belt is not the problem. My problem is trying to track down a diagram of the belt routing for my vehicle, with "no AC".

I am beginning to believe that if this engine has "no AC" then a pully is mounted in place of the AC compressor, and the belt goes around there. I went to NAPA yesterday. The guy there said there was such a part, then when he looked it up he said "not for my vehicle".

Tomorrow I will go back to the local Dodge dealer and try to get information out of them. I have been there already, they did not have a diagram to show me. They were not helpful at all.

Thanks again for all the responses. Looking forward to getting this thing going....and SELLING IT.

Old 10-30-06, 02:43 PM
So they couldn't see in there computer if there was a pulley in that location instead of an AC compressor?

Old 10-30-06, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
So they couldn't see in there computer if there was a pulley in that location instead of an AC compressor?
Nope. I thought it stange too. The diagram in the computer was with AC only. One service guy went into the back to look for a book on it. He came back saying they do not have that book. I found that strange...since it is likely one of the most common vehicles they see.

Old 10-30-06, 05:15 PM
Have you checked the local libray for the repair manuals? Most libraries have these with all the diagrams. Sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't want to read through all the posts.