what's that noise???

Old 10-09-06, 03:04 PM
what's that noise???

I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. Inside the car, I can hear a noise coming from the rear near the trunk area. This noise is present even when I don't a/c or heat on. What could be causing this noise?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-06, 03:30 PM
You are pretty short on info, "noise", covers a very large spectrum of sounds. Is it a snap, crackle, pop, grinding, etc. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 10-09-06, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This could be a number of things. What type of sound is it? A metal on metal sound? or plastic? I would check your exhaust to make sure it is not chaffing against anything. If undercariage looks good, check your real deck above the back seats. Make sure that panel is secured.

Old 10-10-06, 08:30 AM
The sound is a whirring-humming noise that as far as I can tell is coming from the interior. I can't tell if it's coming from one of the vents. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-10-06, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only thing I could suggest is that you have the car running and listen around. Get outside and listen under the car and see if it's coming from there. If it's not that kind of rattling, then it could be a number of things. Check your rear deck to see of panel is lose, if it's not that type of sound, it might be some type air leak coming from the window or door? The problem you are describing is to vague. I wish I could tell you more.

Old 10-11-06, 03:45 AM
Group Moderator
And have someone along riding in the back to maybe pinpoint the location better.

Old 10-11-06, 04:52 AM
I think I can narrow the noise down to inside the car. There isn't any rattling from underneath when you're outside the vehicle and this whirring noise is present even when the car is sitting so I doubt there is an air leak from the window.
And yesterday, I when started up the car the noise was not present as I sat there but then I shifted into reverse and presto the noise appeared until I got to my destination and came on as soon as I started the car again. I'm trying my best to give you guys as much information as possible but it is very difficult to pinpoint this noise. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 10-11-06, 05:38 AM
Could it possibly be fuel pump noise? They can be noisy on that car. I have a 2004 Cavalier as well and it makes a noise exactly what you describe.

Old 10-11-06, 10:38 AM
I am not sure if it is the fuel pump. This noise just started about a week ago just after we were having problems closing the trunk. I don't know if I loosen something while we were slamming the trunk in an effort to close it.
I got under the car this morning and checked the exhaust system. It seems quite snug and there isn't any rattling or other noises while I was checking it. The only reason I am mention this is because my wife used the car this morning AFTER I did this and she said she did not hear that whirring noise. I'm not sure what I did by moving the exhaust pipes to check to see if they were snug but hopefully the noise doesn't return. I will keep you posted if the noise returns. Thanks for all the help.
Used the car this afternoon and the noise was back. It sounds like the noise you hear coming from a computer tower and it is constant. After listening carefully, we narrowed it down to the trunk that the noise is coming from. Any ideas? Thanks again to evryone.

Last edited by mfrancle; 10-11-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 07:49 PM
I'd try to pinpoint the source of the noise as follows:
- With noise present, get into back seat. See if noise is louder on left, right, or center of back seat
- With noise present, get in trunk. See if noise is louder on left, right, front, back, or center of trunk.
- With noise present, climb under back seat (lay on ground). See if noise is louder on left, right, or center.

Note: Whenever the noise seems to get louder, keep moving around to find the loudest location.

This should help pinpoint whether it's a fuel pump noise, exhaust noise, or some other noise.