1997explorer Ac/heater Switch

Old 10-09-06, 10:46 PM
1997explorer Ac/heater Switch

During the summer the only way I could get my 1997 Ford Explorer to cool was to put the switch on MAX AIR. Worked fine rest of summer. Now alas, its winter, and now the thing will not heat. I have put the switch (dash) on every setting it have, and still no heat. What is left?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-06, 05:06 AM
Heater Case

Check the heater case (plenum) the door breaks inside the case. The door is called the blend door. But you will have to buy the plenum to get the part.

Old 10-11-06, 10:03 AM
1997 Ford Explorer A/c Heater

TO: HOGFAN, Thanks for your information. However, lets consider that I am not versed in all the terminology of auto repair. Where is the heater case? Where is the plenum? can I get to it wilthout taking the auto apart? Thanks for your help.

Old 10-11-06, 06:28 PM
The heater case and sometimes called plenum is behind the dash. Pull the dash and evacuate the A/C system. It's not easy.

Old 10-13-06, 08:58 PM
1997 Ford Explorer A/c Heater

To Hogfan, Thanks again for your prompt reply. Another question: I found that if I let the vehicle run long enough it will eventually get hot, and stay hot! I cannot control the temp at all. I can only cut the heater on - get hot - cut it off - get cold - cut it on, etc., does this have to do with the same problem I cited before? if not, what? thanks again. Hey, I can see that if I keep communicating with you I am going to become very Auto Repair Savy.

Old 10-19-06, 06:40 PM
Explorer Climate control issue

During the summer the only way I could get my 1997 Ford Explorer to cool was to put the switch on MAX AIR. Worked fine rest of summer. Now alas, its winter, and now the thing will not heat. I have put the switch (dash) on every setting it have, and still no heat. What is left?

What do you mean when you say "MAX AIR"? Do you mean the "Highest Blower setting" or what?

If you have a manual system, you should have three controls:
knob1: Blower Knob
knob2: Mode-Control Knob
knob3: Temp Knob (marked with Blue and Red zone)

Technically "MAX AIR" suggests
Knob1 = Highest blower setting
Knob2 = All the way counter-clockwise (Recirculation mode)
Knob3 = All the way counter-clockwise (in the blue region)

When you say "you put the switch on all setting", what switch are you referring to? Are you trying things at random?

If you can give a clearer problem statement, I may be able to help you.

Hsieh

Old 10-19-06, 08:10 PM
Smile 1997 explorer a/c heater problem

TO HHSIEH:
Okay, lets see if I can answer your questions: First of all, my knobs do not agree with yours. #1 is ok, #2 is temp knob and #3 is mode control knob, so, using my knob settings, here goes:By MAX AIR I mean all the way (recir mode) my #3. When I said all settings I was referring to all setting on the a/c side of #3 (a/c left side - off at top - heat - right side). To reiterate what I stated before, now when I put #3 on the heat side it just keep getting hot and hot and hot, so I turn it off until vehicle cools down indside then turn it back on again. Makes no difference where #2 is, in the blue zone or in the red zone, the vehicle just keep getting hot. Even if I put #2 in the defroster mode, makes no dilfference. I can hear motor changing speeds to #1 is working ok. There it is my friend, hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

Old 10-20-06, 04:19 AM
Angry

What happens to the blend door is that the top of the blend door breaks this lets the the motor turn freely without turning the door. Take the glove box down and look on the top of the case you will see the motor. Take the 4 - 5/16" head screws out of the blend door motor. Remove the motor. Now you can see were the blend motor fits into the blend door this will be broke out.

Old 10-20-06, 10:46 PM
Just so you know, 97 Explorer's blend door is controled by an electrical motor (all other doors are vacuum motor controled). One known mode of blend door failure is at the door hinge (hogfan called it the top of the door): the D-slot of the hinge (the hole where the motor's shaft sticks in) can break apart, in turn cause the driving mechanism to fail.

Your recent experience (sometimes not hot at all and sometimes too hot) seems to suggest the blend door has its own will of where it wants to be (mainly controled by pressure generated by the airflow and gravity).

Therefore, unless you have seen other evidences of a stuck blend door (which usually indicates broken electrical motor), i think hogfan is likely to be correct.

To fix a broken blend door hinge would require dropping the dash, get the air-handling case (the "plenum") out, open it up, replace the door, and reverse the steps. It is not a small job, in my opinion.

Again, double check if you have a stuck blend door (good) or a broken door (bad).

Good luck!

Hsieh