taillight problems in my 98 malibu

Old 10-10-06, 05:30 PM
Unhappy taillight problems in my 98 malibu

I have some real funky tail light probs with my driver side tail light. When the lights are normally on, the driving lights work fine but apply the brakes and no lights at all on drivers side rear, release the brake and viola taillights again. Now turn the signal on ( to the left ) and the signal bulb and the two brake/driving ligts blink as well, sometimes real fast other times wicked slow, and if you apply the brakes the whole shooting match stops working on that side, or the back-up light may come on...........( now go figure that one ..ehy????? ), and only on the left side, however when the car is placed in reverse only the right side ( passenger side ) back-up light is the only BK/UP light comes on of the two..............PLEASE HELP......

P.S. I HAVE ALREADY REPLACED THE BULB PCB BOARD AND THE NEW PART DOES NOT WORK AT ALL.....NOWAY, NADA, NILL, ZERO NUTIN'

P.S.S. ALL BULBS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AT LEAST TWICE...

Again SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP..............

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-06, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like a bad ground wire. Get a voltmeter and check voltage with brake applied, off, lights on, etc. Check the wires going to the lights.

Old 10-13-06, 05:43 PM
Smile thank you.....

Hey "hot", thanks am 1,000,000 for the reply!!!! I was afraid it would be a ground problem, because it could be almost anywhere within the signal flow of that specific taillight and its associated "wiring bundle", as I have metered out the wire plug that connects to the bulb PCB and seems that its "all-good" at that point in the signal flow........... well its off to find the very dreaded "ghostly" ground problem. Wish me luck and again thank you.................
rlc

Originally Posted by HotinOKC
Sounds like a bad ground wire. Get a voltmeter and check voltage with brake applied, off, lights on, etc. Check the wires going to the lights.

Old 10-13-06, 09:57 PM
If you have found there no ground connection to the light socket, take a new wire and tap into the existing ground wire from the socket, and connect it to a good ground point on the vehicle....instead of spending lots of time looking for the bad connection.