2000 Audi A6 Driver Window won't go all the way up

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-06, 05:21 PM
Thumbs up 2000 Audi A6 Driver Window won't go all the way up

Greetings, everyone! It happened in a sudden: the driver side power window won't go all the way up. It goes all the way down though and when it comes up, it stops gradually in the middle like there is a "brake". The other 3 power windows work fine. Can someone give me some hint as how to start fixing this? Or I better off go to the dealer? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-06, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This could be a few things. If you are not good with mechanical work, then I recommend taking it to a local shop.

1.) It could be the window regulator going out if the window is getting stuck in between the rubber seals in the track.

2.) Check your dealer and see if there is a "Window learn reset" procedure. Usually requires pulling the door panel off and hitting a reset button among other steps.

3.) The track the window rides on is cracked and binding up within the door. I believe Audi window tracks are made out of nylon (fiberglass).

Did this happen after disconnecting the battery for any extended periods of time?

Old 10-12-06, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the response. No, there is no battery disconnect. It just happened all the sudden during a drive. So, any one of the three possibilities will require taking off the door panel, right?

I would imagine that all these power windows work in a similiar way. So, is there any diagram/document that explains how it works? I'd like to get an idea before taking off the door panel. Thanks.

Old 10-13-06, 08:25 AM
Here's a website that will tell you how the window works. This is how almost all car windows function.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-window.htm

Taking the door panel off can be a pain in the butt. It's usually held on by plastic tabs which snap off the actual door with just a flat head screwdriver. Usually you will have to remove some screws that are on the door handle, and door arm rest. Look for these bolts and remove. Be careful not to overstress the panel hardware. Some of the plastic is kind of cheap. The door panel will lift up out of the window jam. Disconect and plugs that may be going to the door panel.
Behind the door panel will be a plastic sheathing that protects the door motors, etc from weather. Just peel this all back. (You can reapply this with some simple adhesive.)
Now you will see the window motor, and rail.

I should have told you before to look at the rubber seal where the window goes up inbetween. Check to see if it's too tight. If it seems ok, then move on.

I recommend you getting a multimeter (voltmeter) and check to see if you have voltage going to the motor when the switch is applied. You should have around 12vDC. If you have no voltage going to the switch, you have a bad door switch or window relay. If it were the window relay, most likely no windows would work.

Check out that link I sent you. It's very informative.

Old 10-15-06, 04:28 PM
HotinOKC, thank you very much for such detailed information. However, I am not finding any bolts on the door panel, and I try to pry the panel off with a flat screw driver, but it seems like only the edge part can be pried up, while the center part is still hold tightly against the door. And I would imagine that there be some bolts to hold the handle against the door, instead of just the plastic snaps. So any idea where the bolt could be?

Old 10-15-06, 05:14 PM
Have you tried spraying some silcone into the window jams? Try that and see if there's any improvement. Here are the general removal procedures off the Audi Forums.

Remove 2 screws that hold door panel in, one in front jamb, one in rear.
Pop out the power window switch, there is a small hole in the underside of the door handle that you can put a small screwdriver or allen wrench in and pry from the front of the switch toward the rear of the car and pull up.
Disconnect window switch.
Pull door panel up and off. not too tough.
Disconnect 3 wires near front of panel, 2 for speakers, third for ?? didn't trace them out.
Put the door panel in a safe place.

Old 10-16-06, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the instructions: I was able to remove the door panel. This window is lift up and lowered down with two pulleys. Basically, the window is held in place by two blue plastic blocks and slides along two tracks. See the below link for some pictures:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tw_ustc/album?.dir=/2876re2

Here are the things I tested:

1. I removed the motor compartment (which includes the motor and the worm gear), I tested the motor by pressing/pulling the switch and it rotates in both direction continuously;

2. With the worm gear removed, I can manually lift up the window with some force applied on it. As I don't have any reference for comparison, I don't know if it's stuck, but I checked around the track and window jamb and don't see anything obvious, And when I clap the window with my hands, I can lift it up.

3. I didn't put the silcone in the window, because I am not sure what that is and where to get it. But I checked again around the jam, and didn't see anything that could stuck it.

So far, I can think of three possible causes:

1. Window gets stuck; if it's caused by the jam, then I guess that can be told by removing the weather strip and see if the window will go up, right? But, how to remove the weather strip then? :-)

2. Switch is not working properly; (can't think of any explaination for this one).

3. Motor doesn't provide enough torque, even though it still rotates. But how to test this? There are 8 wires going into the motor, 2 thick ones and 6 thin ones, I guess the 2 thick ones carry the power and the 6 thin ones should carry the control signal, right? So should I test the voltage between the two thick ones?

But as you know, I don't have any experience with fixing cars (though I have an engineering background), could you please point out if I missed anything or which cause(s) above could possibly be the real cause and how to test it.

And by the way, when I was describing the problem in the original post, I forgot to mention one thing: as the window slows down in the middle and gets completely stopped, all the sudden it'll go all the way down automatically; I guess this is because the child protection mechanism is functioning, right?

Thanks.

Old 10-17-06, 11:21 AM
I think you narrowed it down to 2 possibilities:

1. The motor does not have enough torque. When the window gets to that certain point, and stops, it gets overheated causing it to go back down.

2. Window jam is to tight causing the motor to overheat and go back down into safe mode.

I have heard of the jams getting to tight and causing this. I myself have never removed the weatherstripping before, but it's probably glued in. Maybe some screws.

Go to Autozone, and ask them where the Silicone spray is. It's usually in a yellow spray can. I would say use some WD40 but not sure what it would do to the rubber stripping.

Your switch is working since you can command it to go up and down.

Also, check voltage to the motor on the two thicker wires. Most power ground are solid blue, and blue/black stripe. Test for 12vDC with the power window switch depressed.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-17-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 12:49 PM
Ok, I sprayed WD40 all around the window jam and now, the window is coming up, BUT, still with some amount of resistance, since the window is moving in a slower speed than normal.

So, if the problem is the jam, do I need to replace it?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-09, 03:38 PM
Audi A6 window stuck

I just fixed my two front windows - this is most likely your problem. The window operates with a cable system that locks into plastic sliders if one of the sliders breaks it causes the window to wedge and get stuck. I ordered the sliders from Jeff at vividracing.com part 4B0-837-463-B - buy two even though only one is probably broken.

Roll window all the way down if possible,

Remove the panel - one screw to remove on each side of panel - small phillips. Lift panel gently. pay attention to all the wires - mark them then disconnect all wires and door latch. Remove swicth by inserting small phillips into hole under handle and press tab to release.
Remove inside door frame by removing four star bolts. Also gently pry off the rubber dams on the top side ofconnecting the door and inner frame. Remove tiny phillips screw on dam near hinge side.

Remove the inner frame - lay it on a blanket - replace broken slider and reverse the process. I also cleaned lubed all the cables while I was at it.

Reverse the process - remember to reconnect the latch befor you close the door!! Cost $30.

Closed Thread