Need Info on my 94 Oldsmobile transmission.

Old 10-13-06, 07:03 AM
Need Info on my 94 Oldsmobile transmission.

My transmission on my 94 olds 88 -- 3.8 liter engine does not shift until I warm up the engine for about 8 minutes. I checked fluid level which is ok. . Do you think whatever pumps the fluid is not circulating the fluid until the fluid warms up a little . or maybe a senser is not working properly? I would appreciate whatever info I can get on this.

Bud_N

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-06, 08:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you say the fluid is.."ok", does that mean just the level? You may need to do a transmission flush and put in new Syn. ATF. If the current fluid is getting burned out, weak, the transmission will have a hard time shifting. Aspecially getting into the colder months, it takes the fluid a bit longer to warm up and get circulating.

That would be the easy stuff to check first.

If not, then maybe the clutch packs within the transmission are getting weaker.

Old 10-14-06, 05:37 AM
To HotinOKC

Thanks for the reply: The Transmission fluid looks real clear. But could you explain the Syn. ATF , what it is and how it works.
thanks Bud_N

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-14-06 at 07:24 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 10-14-06, 07:40 AM
Synthetic ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). It's better then the regular ATF. It has a higher viscosity. Meaning, it can take higher temps without getting burned out.
When you say clear, do you mean a nice red clear? Does it smell burnt? Also, there are alot of things to make the transmission feel like it's getting bad, but most of the time it's the engine or electronics making it feel that way.

Old 10-14-06, 08:07 AM
HotinOKC

Transmision fluid is clear red. No Burnt smell. once after it warms up --about 8 minutes it works smooth, no problem.
I was wondering what would happen if you over filled the transmission. would that create problems?

Old 10-14-06, 09:17 AM
Well, does your transmission dip stick say it's overfilled? I'm sure if it was overfilled and ran for awhile like that, then it may cause stress for the pump.

Old 10-14-06, 09:24 AM
Bud:

Overfilling a transmission can cause a flow through problem for the fluid/pump. Without adequate throughput the fluid that's backed up in the tranny can overheat. Consequently the transmission can't cool itself properly.

You may want to see if you have any codes on the computer of the engine. Thinking in terms of the temp sensor.

The shifting of the transmission is somewhat electronically controlled by the sensor signals to the computer from the engine. If for instance your engine temp sensor was acting up the computer would hold your tranny in the lower gears to avoid loading a cold engine. This could be set up to avoid cold engine ping and knock problems.

Just a possibility.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-14-06, 02:15 PM
Had simmilar problem with a 95 lumina 3.1. The trans had a bad lip seal that would work after it got warm. To fix it a rebuild was needed