92 Lumina Euro coolant sensor

Old 10-14-06, 06:26 PM
Question 92 Lumina Euro coolant sensor

my 92 lumina euro coolant sensor indicator stays on..it says to check coolant, but the coolant level is correct..also, the service engine light flashes on occasionally...

need help to isolate the problem...

PS: the coolant sensor is working..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How do you know the coolant sensor is working? Usually the sensor in the tank will go bad. Also, count how many times the engine light comes on. Thats telling you there is a code for something going bad.

Old 10-15-06, 05:43 PM
Question testing sensor

Originally Posted by HotinOKC
How do you know the coolant sensor is working? Usually the sensor in the tank will go bad. Also, count how many times the engine light comes on. Thats telling you there is a code for something going bad.
My understanding is that the sensor is a two pronged device that measures the electrical resistance of the coolant...if the coolant covers the two probes, the resistance is relative low (approx that of water, or approx 3 - 10K), if the coolant is below the sensor, then the resistance is relative high (above 50K) because it is surrounded by air...so a standard OHM meter is suffient to check the sensor...

the engine light comes on before the engine starts, along with the other functional test, and does not show again...i do not see abnormal signal codes with any of the light devices...

could possibly be a broken wire...which wires on the computer header block are from the sensor?

Could the computer be defective and not show an error code with the console lights?

thanks for your help

Old 10-15-06, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will probably have to look at the wiring schematic for which wires go to the module.
My mother in laws car overheated due to a anti-freeze leak which was fixed, but due to the water/anti-freeze boiling in the tank and the short time without any fluid in it, her sensor in the tank went bad. It stays on regardless of the amount of fluid in it. So I just disconnected the plug from the tank in the mean time. I believe your theory on how the sensor works is correct.

Old 10-18-06, 01:26 PM
Question coolant sensor

Originally Posted by HotinOKC
You will probably have to look at the wiring schematic for which wires go to the module.
My mother in laws car overheated due to a anti-freeze leak which was fixed, but due to the water/anti-freeze boiling in the tank and the short time without any fluid in it, her sensor in the tank went bad. It stays on regardless of the amount of fluid in it. So I just disconnected the plug from the tank in the mean time. I believe your theory on how the sensor works is correct.
I looked at the signal codes for the car, and there is not one for the coolant level sensor...apparently it doesnt connect to the computer, but is a stand-alone sensing unit...if that is true, then a short circuit is keeping the light on..

is there a relay that is triggered by the sensor? Doesnt appear to be a switching device in the sensor...possibly a stuck relay or shorted solid state relay?

Search this Thread