Headlight Problems

Old 10-15-06, 07:27 PM
Headlight Problems

I recently acquired a 1984 Corvette as a project car.

The headlights turn on but they won't pop-up. I can manually extend them, and then they will retract, but they won't go up under power.

Does this mean the motors are fried or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Neat car. Not to put down this forum, but I would be checking the net for Corvette specific forums. I'm sure there are some out their with a high level of expertise on the vette.
If it has an electric motor, check fuses and switches, and then the motor. If the headlight doors are vacuum powered, start by looking for cracked vacuum lines, then vacuum switches, and finally look at the vacuum motor. G L on your project.

Old 10-16-06, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by rdn2113
I recently acquired a 1984 Corvette as a project car.

The headlights turn on but they won't pop-up. I can manually extend them, and then they will retract, but they won't go up under power.

Does this mean the motors are fried or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance!
I think you got it, the motor is bad(worn brushes) I replaced mine (89) last year for the same reason, on but not up.

Old 10-16-06, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys! Believe it or not I have tried a few Corvette forums and really haven't received much help at all. In fact, the only response I actually received was, "You drive your 'vette at night?" Strange but true.

New guy: where did you get the new motors?

Thanks again!

Rick

Old 10-17-06, 02:28 AM
I bought mine at local 'vett shop, somewhere around $100-120 per kit/side, don't remember for sure, the motor is the same but the hardware are different and they are interchangeable though, the easy way to do is remove the whole head lamp assy, that include head light motor bracket.

Old 10-17-06, 03:48 AM
madirect.com has all the parts for your C4 you'll ever need....from what I've read, the headlight bucket motors are driven by plastic gears that strip after time....MA sells a rebuild kit. You might try Ecklers too. I buy most of my accessories from madirect for my C5 and I've always been pleased with their service....depending on what I order, it's usually on my doorstep in three days.