OOps-removing spray paint on car finish?

Old 10-15-06, 07:56 PM
Unhappy OOps-removing spray paint on car finish?

Hi - did the moron thing and sprayed white paint too close to my van on a nice warm day.
I have a Porter Cable #7424 that I use to polish, but am a newbie on how to clean this off. I tried a little Meguier's Heavy Polish, but I think I needed something more - its a 2000 Honda Odyssey. Would any auto detailer's have input on what recipe they rec. to remove it? thankfully the van is white too.
I used baking soda to remove the fine spray off my windshield and drivers/pass. windows which did a fantastic job, but the tinted windows are a bugger. I spot tested a razor blade and saw it left scratches. The paint adhered to the tinted windows more.
I'd like to save $$ in doing this myself before dropping it off to an auto detail shop.
Thanks for your replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 06:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of paint were you spraying?

Often waxing and buffing is enough to remove minor overspray. I've heard clay bars are also good.

Is the tinting on the exterior of the glass?

Old 10-16-06, 08:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Clay bars will probably not get the overspray off. Clay bars get the really fine rail dust and other debris out from the paint. The only thing I could recommend, it this is not for the average joe, is to wet sand it off using a fine grit 300+ and some water. Being careful not to go to far. Be careful with the Porta cable as well, if not properly training on it, it can eat through your clear coat in a second.

Old 10-16-06, 04:25 PM
I was using Rustoleum Enamel White. I use the polisher very gingerly. The tinted windows is factory from Honda. Maybe I just need a little more elbow grease, the baking soda did wonders, but my arms got tired after doing the front windows. Sanding is out of my league...

Old 10-17-06, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The tint would either be on the inside or in the glass itself so you should be able to clean that glass like you did the other. With a little care baking soda can also be used on the paint.

Oil base overspray is a lot harder to remove than latex. If buffing doesn't work and you want to try wet sanding use 800-1000 grit - available at all auto body supply houses and most auto part stores. Basically you use the wet sand paper like a rag/sponge and wash your car with it. Use plenty of water, it lubricates and helps to keep the sandpaper clean. Don't spend a lot of time in any one place and be extra carefull around all edges. Wax your car when done.

Old 10-17-06, 09:56 AM
I once had a rattle-can of primer "go off", while shaking it, inside my house.(I can laugh about it now) Spray paint was everywhere...carpet, walls, ceiling and furniture.

I went to my nearest auto parts store and came back with some Goop handcleaner (MOST IMPORTANT: the nonabrasive formula). With only a few hours having lapsed since the "detonation", I was greatly surprised and relieved that ALL of the paint was removed from where it was not intended to be.

If your paint hasn't fully cured, it might be worth testing on a small area.

Old 10-17-06, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
How hard were you shaking that thing, 'acres???

Old 10-18-06, 07:52 AM
The painting was done about a month ago, but with the hot days of summer I thought the "dust" on my van was blown up dirt. Being busy with house projects when I finally got around to detailing my van was when I was surprised it was the white paint - so it had good time to cure on.
Will "look into" the sanding if I find out polishes just won't lift it off. Was hoping meguier's might "soak in" since there is wax under the paint. Will see when I have time to try this out and report back - thanks again for the advise!

Old 10-18-06, 09:50 AM
Pamspam, I just applied some of this Goop (non-abrasive formula) to an enameled metal surface that I had sprayed about four-years ago. I left it alone for approximately three-minutes.
Now, when wiping the paint, I'm getting some paint residue from the surface.

Try it! You just might find that this is the solution that you need. It's not agressive enough to affect a factory finish.

(RE: TheTowGuy's question of my 'shaking the rattle can', I've decided that I'm going to submit my story to the "GreatGoofs" section of the The Family Handyman magazine. It was just that...a great goof.)

Last edited by tranquilacres; 10-19-06 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 10:19 AM
I bought a used car that had overspray all over it. I used a clay bar on the whole car/windows and it removed all of it. Got the clay at a national auto parts chain for $10.