Grinding noise on Chevy Cavalier

Old 10-16-06, 11:05 AM
Grinding noise on Chevy Cavalier

I have a 1995 Chevy Cavalier and it is making a metal on metal grinding noise in the area of the alternator. Could it be the alternator or something else? It sounds like it is coming right out of that area..maybe below it?! Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 01:09 PM
My first thought is that it could be a tensioner pulley bearing. I've had to replace several on my vehicles over the years. Other thoughts are: bad alternator bearing, bad water pump (if it's near the noise).

You may already have a better way to pinpoint an engine noise (like having an engine stethoscope), but here's what I do: To pinpoint the noise I sometimes use a long screwdriver, hold it against an engine component while holding the other end against one ear. By moving it around I can sometimes pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Other times I use a long hose and move it near different engine components while holding my other ear to the other end of hose.

Just trying to help. Good luck.

Old 10-16-06, 08:16 PM
Try removing the belt and crank the engine for just a second. If the sound is gone spin each pully by hand and maybe you can determine what it is making the noise.

Good luck,

John

Search this Thread