Taurus Power Steering?!????

Old 10-17-06, 06:44 AM
Exclamation Taurus Power Steering?!????

'99 Ford Taurus w/88K on it. This morning I noticed that whenever I made turns I would hear this groan/moaning sound coming the steering column or close by. The noise seems to go away when I straighten out.

Is this the power steering fluid or the pump? Could it be the CV joints? Any other ideas?

How much $$$$ am I looking at? I am up to spending $200-300 every 8 to 10 weeks on this thing.

Last edited by hootie1fan; 10-17-06 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-06, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Start first by checking the fluid level in the power steering pump.

Old 10-17-06, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
marksr is right. Check the fluid reservoir. If it's full, does the stearing wheel feel jerky when you are parked and turning the wheels? If so, you probably have a bad steering rack and pinion. Hopefully it's just the fluid.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-17-06 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 04:33 PM
nap
Here is a link that shows the PS system, pump and all.
It is not unusual for Fords to growl such as you describe.
The pump is waht is growling more than likely. if there is air in the system, it can make a noise such as this. air in the system can also damage the PS pump after a time as well.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/02/4d/0900823d801b024d.jsp

First thing to do is check your fluid as marksr posted. If it is not low and you have no other steering problems you have two choices:

1. ignore the noise. unless you have a problem, it is nothing more than a noise. some of them do this for years before they actually die.

2.replace the power steering pump.

Old 10-18-06, 06:03 AM
sounds like its the pump growling,

i would have an assistant turn the wheel back and forth while you take a wooden handle of some kind and plac eit on the pump housing and theother end on your ear so you can listen to it and verify, be careful of moving parts, belt and pulley,

oyu can get a good idea of the cost of a newpump on advanceautoparts.com click on shop online link in top left list

good luck

randy

Originally Posted by hootie1fan
'99 Ford Taurus w/88K on it. This morning I noticed that whenever I made turns I would hear this groan/moaning sound coming the steering column or close by. The noise seems to go away when I straighten out.

Is this the power steering fluid or the pump? Could it be the CV joints? Any other ideas?

How much $$$$ am I looking at? I am up to spending $200-300 every 8 to 10 weeks on this thing.

Old 10-18-06, 08:42 AM
Unhappy Update

I had the oil changed yesterday and they topped off the fluids. The mechanic seemed to think that the pump is the problem, but that as long as I don't mind the noise......

In any case, the noise seems to be gone for now.

I am thinking of having the power steering pump replaced next payday, but honestly, with all the things going wrong with this car, I wonder if I am throwing good $$$ after bad.

Old 10-19-06, 02:33 PM
The noise went away when the fluids were topped off a few days ago, but now they are back. I haven't noticed any fluid leak, but it has been raining.

I guess I am back to going to a mechanic $$.

Old 10-19-06, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can check the fluid yourself. There will be a round cap on the top of the pump resevoir, it has a gauge stick that goes into the fluid - the level will indicate if it is low.

If it is low this soon, it will need to be replaced but by keeping it full of fluid you can postpone the repair for a while if money is tight.

Old 10-20-06, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. My sister gave me a quart of power steering fluid last night. I check the fluid level before I go anywhere.

Old 10-20-06, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I should have added that is possible that it isn't the pump itself but could be elewhere in the system, but something needs replacing.

Old 10-20-06, 11:49 AM
Added power steering fluid 18 hours ago. Drove it less that 20 miles and it's low again. One of the guys at work looked at it and said that he couldn't find any external leaks.

Any ideas?

Last edited by hootie1fan; 10-20-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-20-06, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
it has to be going somewhere. Is you engine compartment so greasy it just doesn't readily show? Normally the leak is only prevalent while the steering is being turned [under pressure]

Old 10-20-06, 01:47 PM
I was in the car turning the steering wheel while one of the guys at work was looking at the power steering pump/engine. He couldn't see any leaks and there was nothing under the car. Might be an internal leak within the steering gear.

Last edited by hootie1fan; 10-20-06 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-20-06, 02:52 PM
nap
look inside the rubber or plastic accordian type boots on the tie rods. It is very possible that since there seems to be no external leak visible, it may be leaking past the seals for the rack. If so, it would go into the boots I spoke of and since there is quite a bit of room in there, it can hold quite a bit.

If it is leaking into there, it is the rack that needs to be replaced.

If you don;t see fluid in there, I would find a dry drive somewhere, fill up the resevoir and just set there turning the wheel back and forth until it drips onto the ground (actually it should darn near run out if you are losing as fast as you post). Then figure out what is where the leak is.

Old 10-21-06, 06:07 AM
It's the rack. I have a 99 Bull and Sable. They both did it.
the fluid goes in the boots then it fills up and then makes a big mess. Common prob in these. Otherwise I like them. Great gas mileage. FYI when you change plugs use Motorcraft or Autolight only! I learned the hard way.

Kelly

Old 10-21-06, 08:48 AM
nap
Originally Posted by KC-Detailer
It's the rack. I have a 99 Bull and Sable. They both did it.
the fluid goes in the boots then it fills up and then makes a big mess. Common prob in these. Otherwise I like them. Great gas mileage. FYI when you change plugs use Motorcraft or Autolight only! I learned the hard way.

Kelly
Sorry to hear about the rack situation. Ford had a problem quite awhile ago with inner tie rod ends with these vehicles while GM was having its' rack debacle. Now Ford seemed to learn a lesson from GM and make bad racks. Too bad for American manufacturers.

I didn't see a recall for the R&P but I did see a recall for front springs. This is really a shame since I had a 93 that had a recall for exactly the same problem of breaking springs. Will our manufactueres never learn until it is too late????

Old 10-21-06, 11:01 AM
Yeah, We had a Chevy Celebrity with a rack problem.
GM fixed that, then they went to pistonslap. Hope they have that fixed.
As for the Taurus check out the taurus car club forum. Hope it is back up, was down for upgrades.
Very helpful in fixing them.

Old 10-23-06, 09:11 AM
Unhappy Update

I took the car in to a highly recommended mechanic and he sai that there is an external leak coming form the rack and pinion that needs to be replaced: $725.

I guess I'll keep topping off the power steering fluid unless there are any less expensive sugestions.

Old 10-23-06, 09:23 AM
If you got the tools and the patience, you can do it yourself with a Chiltons manual.

Old 10-23-06, 09:32 AM
Angry

Unfortunately, I had to buy tools to change the break light on this thing.

I just don't have to know how or power lift to fix it.

Last edited by hootie1fan; 10-23-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-23-06, 09:48 AM
I understand. Tools do help when doing a job like this. lol. I've changed out rack in pinions without a lift. My first time doing it, it took me and my buddy 6 hrs to figure out we had to drop the front crossmember to get it out. Good luck!

Old 10-23-06, 09:55 AM
Unhappy

The biggest problem with replacing the rack and pinion on this car is that it is but one of several $$$$ problems on what was supposed to be a low mileage, reliable car.

Old 06-03-10, 07:42 PM
2000 Ford Taurus Steering noise

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SES sedan, DOHC 24V, with 132k miles on it. I realize Im on borrowed time but I dont want to give it up. Recently when turning my steering wheel, I started hearing a bit of screeching. Now, 2 weeks later, its very loud and screeching every time I turn the steering wheel just a little bit. Is this a Powersteering Pump issue? Ive made sure to get all the necessary tune ups but this is a new sound.

Old 06-03-10, 08:01 PM
This thread must look pretty scary to you!
But a screeching sound is a belt sound. Not a pump sound. Make sure it's properly tensioned before assuming a pump failure. I believe you can look in your owners manual to determine how to test the belt tension. Or perhaps a repair manual is required.
When you turn your wheels the pump requires power and is more resistant to being driven. So a loose belt will slip on it and make a shrill sound. Also any type of oil on the belt can make it slip.

Old 06-03-10, 09:30 PM
some modles were prone to the upper strut mount /bearing-spring seat failing/ as well as a 'bottomout' condition-where the vehicle hits a 'pot hole' or other wise problem that 'totaly colapses the strut ( bottoms out) the strut travel. whitch in turn causes the bottomed out strut to 'deform' the 'strut-tower-causing a concave/up side down dish -shape of the sheet metal that forms the strut mount!
this causes the upper spring insulator to rub on the metal.as the strut-body turns, with the steering assembly
"this causes a -screeching/type noise!-!Not a moaning noise"

this can be verified-by 'looking at' the 3 bolt mount surface-under the hood.
'if' it is rounded/dish shaped -this is your problem.

reply, if U want any further advice!

Old 06-04-10, 07:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
just my 2 cents

Welcome to the forums jamor!

At 132k I wouldn't consider your car being on borrowed time
My wife's 2003 sable has 135k and I expect it still has another 100k left in it

If your car still has the factory belt you might consider replacing it