1995 nissan maxima stalling when i was driving

Old 10-17-06, 04:24 PM
1995 nissan maxima stalling when i was driving

hi, i just got a used nissan maxima about one week ago, i have comfronted a stall problem for 3 times, 2 were happened when i just started the car and it died soon, then i tried to restart it, it was hard to started. And this morning i was driving when the engine stalled again, first the brake light was on, and then oil light was on. So does anyone has some idea about this problem? By the way, the check light was on, it has three codes.1. Coolant Temperature sensor problem, 2. Knock sensor problem 3.TCM-ECM coummunication Line Prob. Someone just suggest me to change the coolant temp sensor, what do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-06, 08:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I dont see the temp sensor doing this. If you got a code for your TCM-ECM, then that is what I would look at. These modules (trans control module/engine control module) talk to each other, and if one is failed, it will make your car do some strange things. These modules are usually accessable through the dealer since they have to order it for your car. They can be a few hundred $$ too. You don't want to get a junk yard module because it is not programmed for you car. Let us know what goes on.

Was it this code?

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0504 points to a problem with the Automatic Transmission Communications line. Pulse signals are exchanged between the Engine Control Module and the Transmission Control Module to assure smooth shifting during hard acceleration or deceleration.

This malfunction is detected when the ECM continuously receives an incorrect voltage from the TCM. Possible causes include...
- Harness or connectors (The communications line circuit between the ECM and the TCM is open or shorted.)
- TCM
- Discharged or faulty battery

or this

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0804 is detected when the signal from the Transmission Control Module is not sent to the Engine Control Module. The factory service manual identifies these possible causes:
- Harness or connectors (the communications line circuit between ECM and TCM is open or shorted.)
- TCM
- Weak or dead battery

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-17-06 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 09:14 PM
it is the 0504 code which is same as 0600
so do you have any suggest to solve this problem?

Old 10-18-06, 02:36 AM
I have to go with HotinOKC on this one, coolant temp will not stalls your engine.

I'd check and make sure the battery is good and charging system is good first before anything else.

Old 10-18-06, 08:24 AM
Like the New_guy stated, definetly check your battery for a full charge, along with your alternator. Autozone type stores will check these for you for free. That would be the cheapest and easiest route. If those check good, then you will have to do some labor. "Usually" these modules are behind the dashboard, either at the drivers/passenger side kick panels, or behind the steering column. It will be a box with alot of wires on a connector going to it. Check any wires that go to it, to make sure they are not cut, etc.

Old 10-18-06, 02:40 PM
Actually i just reset the ECU today, the mechnical told me he think the main problem maybe is the Idle control sensor, which i found in the code list today, so he suggest me first to change 6 spark, if that don't work, maybe the idle control should change.

Old 10-18-06, 04:11 PM
I think i miss something, it seems that all three stall was happened when the car is cold, the third stall was happening when i drove about 300 meters. As far as i drove, it never stall when the engine is warm. So do you think this could be a coolant temp problem?

Old 10-18-06, 04:26 PM
Exclamation

Now that I think of it, it could be the temp sensor. I forgot that the sensor is monitored by the computer to determine proper ignition. It also controls your fans as well. Try replacing that!

Old 10-18-06, 04:37 PM
Try to clean the throttle body and see if it makes any different.