88 toyota pickup charge and brake lights

Old 10-18-06, 09:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
88 toyota pickup charge and brake lights

hey all i have a really wierd thing going on with this 88 toyota pickup with 22RE 2.4L fuel injected engine and AOD trans and its a 2 wheel drive model

sometimes when youre driving around in the truck the brake and charge lights on the far right side of the cluster intermittedly come on for a second or two irregularly, i have tried and tried to find a loose wiring plug or damaged wires anywhere in the whole truck inside and out to no avail it always runs fine no problem and i cant make it happen on purpose, its just random and no cause seemingly

the brakes and alternator and all that are in fine shape no issues at all

when these two lights flash/come on/whatever they do it at the same exact time, exactly, as if they are wired together or something

does anyone have any ideas at all ?

no one else seems to

thanks for anything

Last edited by fast68; 10-18-06 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-06, 09:38 AM
I'm not a mechanic...

Nor do I play one on TV, but...

I have a 97 Camry that has a similar issue: a warning light intermittently flashes that my tail lights are out when they are not. My mechanic says it's a bad module (it's located in the trunk) and it costs way too much to fix when the tail lights are working perfectly.

Perhaps the cause of your problem is the same as mine.

Old 10-18-06, 09:42 AM
hum interesting

module hmm

wonder what kind of module and if my truck has one

interesting

thanks

Old 10-18-06, 10:33 AM
Fast68:
Your charge/brake light will come on if there is an issue with the charging system, usually the alternator. Check the belt on the alternator as well. These lights are controlled by the diode pack which is internal on the alternator. HAve Autozone check it out for free. I bet thats whats wrong. Check your cables going from the alt. to the batt, etc.

Old 10-18-06, 11:57 AM
seems fine though no problems at all ever :

Last edited by fast68; 10-18-06 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 01:54 PM
This is a known problem is Toyota trucks. When you checked your alternator, it may have been fine. If the belt is slipping, you may not be able to pick that up when testing. It can only be the following:

1. Bad alternator

2. Bad belt/pulley

3. Bad ground

The brake light is tied in with the charge light, thats why it flickers at the same time.

Definetly check your ground cables and wires.

Old 10-18-06, 04:47 PM
Check your Alternator and then check your Alternator again and then did I mentioned check your Alternator?.

It's a known problem, it's a sign of Alternator starts going south, next time when those both lights came on, leave it running and carefully unplug the two way connector at the Alternator, if both lights are out, the Alternator IS a problem, if they both remain on with it connector disconnected, there's a short to power on that circuit.

Old 10-18-06, 07:24 PM
interesting to learn

the only problem with disconnecting the connector is that the lights dont stay on for more than a second

and it neverhappens sitting still, its only when youre in motion and when i take it on a trip on the frewway it never does it, it only happen in town around turns and bumps and taking off from a stop and such, just never know when, no rhyme or reason to it at all

i think illl run the truck up to rexxbattery tomorrow and let them hook it up real quick just to see if they can find anything by chance maybe

but again it never runs low or does anything bad, ever everything seems great and normal

so hmm

thanks again i appreciate your time guys

Old 10-19-06, 05:38 PM
brushes in the alternator was completely toasted

were all the way worn down!

haha!
all better now, replaced them today

runs great no lights anymore

thanks

Old 10-19-06, 07:17 PM
Glad to hear that! I knew it was that! I had an 88 Toyota pickup 22RE 4x4 for my first vehicle. It was a great truck!

Old 10-19-06, 07:23 PM
yep

thanks

they said this was really ht eonly thing that ever goes wrong with these

so thats good to learn

and i hope i dont have to do it again anytime soon it is a PITA to remove the alternator is it buried way under the p/s pump and it has to be removed and the distribubor also or you cant get the alt out of there, maybe might possibly get it out by removed the radiator and fan, maybe, but not sure on that

the ignition timing i ju8st set by ear and away i went so far so good runs stornge rit seems and no lights coming on yet

Old 10-20-06, 05:22 AM
Good to hear that,

I still have my 88 4x4 SR5 V6, will hit 300K at the end of the this year. My wife bought it new when it first came out with V6 for my Birthday.