hacksaw forward or backward

Old 10-17-06, 05:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question hacksaw forward or backward

Many years ago I was taught the teeth are to be pointed back twards the handle. I mentioned this today to a young person and he suggested what I was taught is not correct. If what I was taught is wrong is there some reason for having the teeth facing back twards the handle?

Old 10-17-06, 05:53 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The teeth are generally pointed away from your hand. This is for a forward stroke cut. It allows you to apply more force into the cut.

I have upon occasion turned the blade around for a varietry of reasons but when you cut on the pull, you cannot apply as much force and it is more difficult to hold the workpiece.

Now if you are cutting on the push with the blade backwards, you have been damaging the blade and working way too hard.

Old 10-17-06, 07:25 PM
Lightbulb

I was under the impression you had more control over your work when pulling to cut, I have learned another thing today that for many years I thought was correct.

Old 10-17-06, 07:39 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you like to pull cut, go for it. Life is all about what works for you. I don't consider a hacksaw a particualalry precise tool. For me it is used as a fast cutting saw (I do electrical work and whacking that conduit as fast as possible is the goal).

There are Japanese wood saws that are designed to be draw cut, it does tend to be more accurate because you do not have blade flex like when a saw is pushed. That is one reason I use a high tension hacksaw. I modify mine so I can make the blade very tight. It tends to keep the blade straighter.

When push cutting, I can use a table or even simply hang on to the conduit with my hand. If I were to draw cut, it would be more difficult to hold the workpiece stable.

Old 10-18-06, 05:47 AM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i pull back stornger than i push so i point mine back to the handle

way i as always taight and shown and it works greatfor me

preference really i guess

i find it difficult to push cut,

good luck

Old 10-18-06, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I never knew there was a 'right' way or a 'wrong' way. While I cut more often with push than pull, I always thought you installed the blade according to how you were going to use.

Old 10-18-06, 08:39 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I think it depends on your preference. Do you want to bang your knuckles or your elbow when the blade breaks. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 10-18-06, 05:29 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
I would go with Daniel's pull cutting on the hacksaw. I always get less kinking of the blade. I would lead the cut with a light push on the backside of the teeth and draw it to cut.

It's one of the few types of blades you really have an option on.

To each his own,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: