How do I change the ignition lock on a 1996 Nissan Sentra

Old 10-18-06, 04:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink How do I change the ignition lock on a 1996 Nissan Sentra

My key is stuck in the ignition on a 1996 Nissan Sentra. The car also will not start. How do I change the ignition lock?

Last edited by jmacintn; 10-18-06 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-06, 07:30 PM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by jmacintn
My key is stuck in the ignition on a 1996 Nissan Sentra. The car also will not start. How do I change the ignition lock?

are you sure its the ignition lock cylinder causing it

does it have anti theft system ?
is the pump pumping fuel and do you have spark ?

to change the cylinder lock you should be able to remove the steering column cover panels iof theres a seam down the sides where they split apart and then there would be a screw or a clip holding the switch in the column, you would need the ignition key and the switch would need to probably be in the run position in order to pull the switch out

should not be very difficult to replace at all, pretty straightforward take your time

good luck

Old 10-19-06, 02:53 AM
I don't think you can pull the switch out by leaving the key on on Nissan.

If you are be able to access to the switch by removing couple coluum covers and shift lock cable, you then may need a shaft center punch and a hammer for removing the two "break-away" bolts which are holding the ignition switch to the steering coluum, then those "break-away" bolts must replace with new, the new Nissan Ignition cylinder comes with keys and will not work on your door and trunk locks/cylinders.

Old 10-19-06, 06:43 AM
J
Originally Posted by jmacintn

When I turn the key to the start position, the lights on the dash come on, but it does not make any sound. Since this is the case, and the key wont come out, I am assuming it is the ignition cylinder.