2000 s10 heating problems

Old 10-21-06, 05:52 PM
Question 2000 s10 heating problems

2 days ago my heater in my 2000 s10 pickup started blowing nothing but cool air, almost feels like a/c air. I figured it was the therostat, changed it and flushed out the cooling system with water. that did not work, it is sitll blowing cold air. When I turn the cold/hot knob you can hear the sound of the air coming out of the vents change, like it is doing something. Also, after the engine is up to running temp, the water feed line to the heater core is very hot to the touch, but the return line is barely hot. What could the problem be? I am starting to think that the heater core could be clogged, even though I flushed the system, but could this happen all at one time, the heater was fine the day before. And it is not any hot air at all, nothing but cold air. Any ideas of what the problem is or what I can check next will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MRT 19

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-06, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Both your heater core hoses should be warm/hot(return will be a little cooler seeing that the heat was released from the core). Check for leaks in the floorboard or firewall. If you are not leaking any fluid (antifreeze) you should disconnect theose heater core lines on the engine side and flush them out directly. If still nothing and the water is flushing through the core jsut fine, then your air mix plate/valve within your airbox is not operating correctly. There is a valve/gate that is supposed to open up to allow the heat from the core to enter the air vents.

Old 10-22-06, 02:04 AM
I'm thinking that if you have grabbed the two water hoses that run to the heater core (near the firewall) after warming up the engine and they are not about the same temperature, the heater core has to be the problem. This is also supported by the fact that you can hear something when you change the heater settings from inside the car, which sounds to me that the air control door is operating.

I'd do what "hotinOKC" says to try to flush the heater core. I'd alternately and repeatedly squirt water into both the input and output hose connections at the firewall to see if this dislodges whatever is blocking the water. Of course, before you do this, if you find water on the floorboard, then you have to just replace the heater core.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old 10-22-06, 03:56 AM
heater

does this model use a htr. control valve? if so,may be stuck
or pulling bad vacumn allowing water to bypass core back to pump.

Old 10-22-06, 04:33 AM
Flush the heater core out . Backwash and front wash it.

Old 10-22-06, 08:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ignore this post

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 10-22-06 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 08:31 AM
nap
If the heater control vavle is not opening, coolant will not flow through the heater core.

If the valve became blocked or simply quit working it would do this.

If it is vacuum controlled (most are now a days) and there is low engine vacuum , this would also have an adverse effect here as well.

look for a valve in the heater inlet line. as you change the temp from heat to cool, the valve should change position. If it doesn't, now you have to figure out low vacuum, bad control valve, bad vacuum control switch, or some other item (such as vacum line) causing the problem.

Old 10-23-06, 06:32 PM
thanks

Tnanks for all the tips and help. Today I was driving home from work and I had litter heat, but not much. this model does not have a heater control valve, and I do not have any water/antifreeze on the floor board, so i am not leaking any water. I am going to flush the core out directly, back then forwards, to see if this helps. Again, thanks for the info, this what I was thinking also.

thanks,
MRT 19

Old 11-10-08, 04:38 PM
I think I have the same problem. I have a 2000 s10 4x4 and I have done the thermostat and then changed my heater core and now there is nothing right after I did the swap I did a complete system flush. the drive to work today sucked!!!! I spoke with a mechanic friend who told me to look at the actuator behind the glove box. looks like I have more to tinker with. I'll let you know how I make out. pls do the same. if anyone can pppplllllsssss shed some light on what I should be looking at next that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-10, 12:56 AM
look at your intake manifold gaskets if it has a pin size leak that could be it or water pump could be bad.