1988 Buick Regal Custom

Old 10-22-06, 07:29 AM
1988 Buick Regal Custom

I just bought a (11/87) which is a 1988, Buick Regal Custom, 2.8 Multi Port FI. The problem is when i get up to about 45mph the car chugs, when i let off the gas pedal it goes away.
This car has a loud Tapping noise at the top of the engine. Possibly a lose tapit.
They told me that the car did have an oil leak but they took it to the shop and they fixed it. I do belieave they said they gave the car a tune up. They took the car in to get an oil change, i changed it again because the oil was thin (5w10).

Another problem is the oil pressure gauge reads no pressure. When i open the oil fill cap i can't see any oil at the top of the engine.
If this car does blow up that is no problem, I have a 1988 Olds cutless ceria that i can swop engines with.

Should i clean out the throttle body with carb cleaner? i also forgot to mention that the antifreeze in my car is black. what happened? it still heats great though.

suggestions any one?
thanks in advaced

Last edited by GTO101; 11-15-06 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-06, 07:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you open the oil fill cap, you will only see the parts within coated with oil. You will not see pools of it like you are looking into an oil pan. The fact that you have no oil pressure is an issue. It could just be a faulty oil guage, but you might want to make sure that you are actually getting oil pressure.
Next, you will want to check your PCV valve and replace is required. Check your fuel filter as well. A clogged fuel filter will cause the motor to run rough and sluggish at times.

Old 10-22-06, 07:58 AM
this is a long shot but does the oil smell like gas when it gets thin . and does the car stop chuging after oil change . if it stops chuging after oil change id say you had a bad fuel pump and it is putting gas in oil . long shot but seen it in older cars before

Old 10-22-06, 09:14 AM
this is for lenny56769 the oil does not smell like gas and after i chaged the oil the car still chugs at times, but i forgot to mention that the antifreeze is black ish.
This is for HotinOKC i just wanted to let you know that i do get a little oil pressure when i rev it up. This car has a digital dash to.

Last edited by GTO101; 10-22-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 10:02 AM
88 buick

It could be a dirty gas line filter sounds like it is starving for fuel.

Old 10-23-06, 06:24 PM
Today 10/23/06 i just notice that my car misses on one cyl. not sure witch one though, it does this on and off. I guess i will have to change the plugs and wires.

Old 11-11-06, 06:42 AM
My brother was driving into grand ledge and he notice there was white smoke coming from behind him and it started to nock. So he pulled over and called me and told me that the engine was blown up. As we got there, we looked under neath the car, and there was oil all over. We towed the car home. When i got home, we started the engine but it was no good because it was making a very loud nocking noise and it shock the hole car.

The engine in this car is no more, but we have another engine from a 1988 cutlass ceira, a few small things are different but we will make it work.

Any thing i should know about when changing these engines.

Old 11-11-06, 08:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you throw a rod threw the oil pan?

Old 11-11-06, 12:27 PM
I just got done looking at the engine and in the front of the oil pan was a hole. yes it did throw a rod.
I would of never bought this car if i did not have that other engine

Last edited by GTO101; 11-13-06 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-05-06, 05:58 PM
I got tired of messing with the wires so i towed the car to Portland Iron and Metal and got a little over $100 for the car.