TBI injecton cleaning

Old 10-22-06, 11:00 AM
TBI injecton cleaning

OK car is a 89 Caprice sitting 4 years with old gas it is a 305 TBI. Put a new battery in it brought out the starter fluid and tried to crank it up.
Car knocked like crazy with the starter fluid but I suspect that will be gone once it gets real fuel.
Anyway to clean injectors on a TBI maybe soak them in carb cleaner.New ones are 118 each and there are two.
I have not looked at the car but I am 99% sure the injectors are plugged.
I am going over there Mon to see if I can feel them pulse with key on. I am also going to remove fuel line before TBI unit and check for gas from electric pump.
Car would stay running on starter fluid so I know fuel system is defective.
Car was running good when parked 4 years ago with full tank of gas.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-06, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are on the right track. That old fuel has surely contaminated your system. Over that many years, condensation will build up in your tank and lines. Make sure you run enough fuel cleaner additive, etc to try and eliminate this. You may add some Sta-Bil to the fuel as well.

Old 10-22-06, 11:29 AM
a little to late

I think it is a little too late for Sta-Bil The fuel does not smell like varnish but I am sure it is bad but not bad enough to burn off once the engine gets running.
Might not hurt to put some in there but first I need to unplug the injectors once it gets running I can add all the cleaners.

Old 10-22-06, 07:27 PM
Is it TBI or is there more than one injector?

I just helped my friend diagnose and fix a set of 8 injectors he got from a donor. All were varnished after sitting for 9 years and none of them spritzed! We cleaned them up with alcohol, ultrasonic cleaning and reverse flushing.

I recommend you send them out for cleaning. There are a number of places where you can mail them and have them professionally cleaned and flow-balanced for roughly $25 per injector. A search on the 'net will point you to a place.

Old 10-22-06, 11:04 PM
would check fuel pressure should be 9-13 psi if pressure is ok would check for injector pulse suspect you have no fuel pressure and the injectors are probably ok.

Old 10-23-06, 04:11 AM
it is TBI

yes it is a TBI two injectors sitting on top of engine they are not spriticing. I am going down there today and look first hand on what the problem is. I should be able to put my finger on the injector turn the key and feel the pulse.

Old 10-23-06, 05:47 AM
The other side of this problem could be that the injectors aren't getting any signal. They make what is called a "noid light" that you hook up to the injector to check for signal.

Old 10-23-06, 03:37 PM
update

Well today went to visit car and removed inlet to TBI turned key to run (no start) and plenty of fuel came out, hooked it back up and just got a small soda can with good gas and poured it down throat car ran fine. You can smell the bad gas it smells like turpuntine also put my finger on injectors and could feel no pulse.
What I believe is going on the injector has a solenoid that is stuck with the old fuel not allowing it to pulse.
Like I said the car ran fine when parked so the electrical signal is good.
I am going to remove the injectors and take them to work were we have ultra sonic cleaners and tric tanks and several other ways we clean jet engine parts. I think I can do it.

Old 10-23-06, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
TBI have two injectors on the v-6 and v-8 engines, and these were not TPI equipped cars and in 89 carb was still available but was the last year for it

i have found in the past by persinal experience that the injectors wont pulse if the ecm doesnt see any signal from the ignition system either,

seems ot be a common problem on these

i have found that the pink and white wire pair from the coil to the distributor like to break inside the insulation and cause total and/or intermittent signal loss and this will cause the injectors to not spray fuel,

when we were trying to figure out why ours wouldnt start up sometimes we tried everything such a a new fuel pump and so on and to no avail, i finally got around to messing with the pink and white wires at the coil while we cranked it and then the injectors started injecting

finally figured out that these wires were broken inside and thats why the injectors were not injecting

20 bucks for the harness at the chevy parts counter and it was good to go no more problem ever again and this was almost three years ago now still going strong

injectors you can take from any car or truck or van 305 TBI unit in a local junkyard, rare for them to go bad, very rare

easy car to work on, very easy and reliable otherwise, letting it sit was the worst thing to happen to it if this car was near me and ofr sale id snag it up in a heartbeat these are soem real good reliable cars and good on gas 20 or more mpg and will run forever if taken care of properly

good luck

Old 10-24-06, 05:48 AM
Glad to hear you have access to ultrasonic cleaning. What I do is plumb clear tygon tubing to the tip, fill the tube with solvent, energize the injector with 3-5 volts, then blow the solvent through. This gives the injector a reverse flush while it's in the ultrasonic bath.

Old 10-24-06, 02:10 PM
good tip

Originally Posted by Kestas
Glad to hear you have access to ultrasonic cleaning. What I do is plumb clear tygon tubing to the tip, fill the tube with solvent, energize the injector with 3-5 volts, then blow the solvent through. This gives the injector a reverse flush while it's in the ultrasonic bath.
I was wondering what voltage the pinicle would move at so 3-5 volts is the number.
I will give it a try once I get the injectors seems like my step son has ran into problems getting them out so I guess on my next off day I will run down there and do it for him. (seems like there is a fastner on the bottom he can not get at) Might be more easy to just remove the whole unit and go from there instead of just taking the top off.

Old 10-24-06, 05:27 PM
You'll need a variable voltage supply source. Use only enough voltage to open the injector. Don't use direct 12v battery voltage. It can fry the injector.

Old 10-25-06, 01:53 AM
I can do it

I have various power supplys around the house from old electric train transformers to a modern power supply used by ham radio. the one I want to use is a 4.5v-15v 25A.I will apply the power in short bursts to break it free.