Need advice on buying an alternator

Old 10-23-06, 08:20 AM
Need advice on buying an alternator

I need to replace the alternator on my 1999 Mercury Mountaineer, 5.0, and was looking for some advice on what to purchase.

The cost of a Motorcraft remanufactured part ($172 after $60 core charge) is about the same as a Bosch new part ($170).

I normally don't use OEM replacement parts, but for an alternator, is an OEM rebuilt part better than an aftermarket new one?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-06, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Can't specifically answer your question, but I've bought a lot of rebuilt alternators over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

Old 10-23-06, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not necessarily. These are both good brands and I wouldn't be affraid to go with either of them. I would want the new one just so I know it hasn't been torn apart and used.

Old 10-23-06, 09:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if the oem one is not much more cost than a parts store one then go for it

also dont forget to call your local electric motor repair shops and battery shops and have them quote you a brushes and diodes replacemenr cost for it, it will be alot less cost than a new alternator, i rarely ever buy an alternator from a store, for example two days ago i had new brushes put in the alternator on my 88 toyota pickup because the charge light was intermittingly coming on

well found that that brushes were severely worn and not touching the stator sometimes,

so 21 dollars later it was fixed and good as new, thats all that was wrong with it, this was at my local Rexx battery shop

good luck

Last edited by stickshift; 10-23-06 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Removed quoting entire post