Cold Weather starting problem

Old 10-24-06, 04:15 AM
Red face Cold Weather starting problem

I own a 1999 Kia Sephia. When it gets colder weather, it does not want to start. It turns over good, but it doesn't want to catch and fire off.

The battery, alternator, starter have all checked out good. It has new plugs and wires. A mechanic told my wife to clean the throttle body. I took the air hose off and cleaned it. It didn't have a lot of buildup, but it was a little black inside. I took a toothbrush, cloth, and throttle bottle cleaner, did the best I could and hooked the air hose back up. I noticed very little difference.

The car starts good in warmer weather. It only gives trouble in colder weather. Someone, please offer up some ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-06, 12:59 PM
When was the last time the car has been tuned up?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-24-06 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post directly above yours
Old 10-24-06, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had the same problem with my Jetta, Not sure if it would help, but in my case it was a bad mass air intake sensor.

Old 10-24-06, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by dmitchelljr
I own a 1999 Kia Sephia. When it gets colder weather, it does not want to start. It turns over good, but it doesn't want to catch and fire off.

The battery, alternator, starter have all checked out good. It has new plugs and wires. A mechanic told my wife to clean the throttle body. I took the air hose off and cleaned it. It didn't have a lot of buildup, but it was a little black inside. I took a toothbrush, cloth, and throttle bottle cleaner, did the best I could and hooked the air hose back up. I noticed very little difference.

The car starts good in warmer weather. It only gives trouble in colder weather. Someone, please offer up some ideas.
Try to start it while depressing gas pedal about 1/4 to 1/3 of it openning and see if it helps, release the gas pedal right after the engine started, Nissan does recommended that method (for some model) on cold start the engine in winter time, don't know if it'd works on Kia's.