Can't get fuel pump to run.........

Old 10-22-06, 02:10 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't get fuel pump to run.........

I have a 1987 Chevy Brazer K-5, I use it just to plow my driveway. I had it running the other day, took it down to the end of the driveway, put it in reverse, backed up 10 feet and the truck died. It was just like someone turned off the key. Put alittle gas in the carb, truck ran till gas was gone. I figured it was the fuel pump so I put a new one in, pump only. I turn the key on, can't hear a hum in the gas tank, and the truck won't start. Can you hear these pumps when the're running? Should I try priming the lines? Can't figure out why it won't start. Anyone have any ideas as of what could be wrong.

Old 10-22-06, 02:24 PM
J
fuel

2 things needed for fire, fuel and spark. If it ran with fuel in the carb, you have spark. Not sure when they went to pumps in the tank, which I assume yours is one. You can't always hear them, but you should be able to check for fuel at the carb. There are usually relays, fuses, etc, that may also be a problem.

Old 10-22-06, 02:31 PM
G
Would the pump have a fuse in the fuse box? I didn't even check the fuses.

Old 10-22-06, 03:56 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Some G M 's have a relay and fuse mounted in a box on the inner wheel well. I would start there.

Old 10-22-06, 07:04 PM
V
hummm

they are all right if you still cant get it to pump try hot wiring to the battery and if it works it the conection or the wiring

Old 10-23-06, 08:54 AM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
it has to be either relay or fuse if not wiring or connector damage somewhere

you should be able to hear something when the pump is running either easily or not easily, but at least something though

there is a FP test lead wire connector under the hood usually on driver side rear corner of the engine compartment, usually red color there should be a square relay nearby too, the FP test connector might be tucked where its not easily seen, hunt around

if you find it then connect hot battery source to it and see if the pump is pumping, and if it will start up and run

oil pressure switch could be cutting off the feed power to the pump too but is rare

good luck

Old 10-24-06, 10:35 PM
G
Can't find that test wire. I guess I'll just have to get a test light and see if there's power in the wire going to the pump.

Old 10-25-06, 03:19 PM
G
There is no power going to the gas tank sender. I followed the wires up to the firewall. They look like they go through the firewall to the fuse box. Just have to figure out which fuse runs the fuel pump.

Old 10-26-06, 03:41 PM
G
OK, put on a new relay, have power going through the wire harness to the fuel tank. Plugged harness together at fuel tank, truck still won't start, no gas to carb. Any ideas on what to check out next?

Old 10-26-06, 03:57 PM
M
fuel shut off?

Do you have a fuel shut off? they use them on many cars in case of a crash the bump will shut off fuel. My Ford has one in the trunk. It is called a inerta switch.
Not sure you have one but might be worth looking into.

Old 10-27-06, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Hate to suggest it, but if you have power in the harness all the way to the tank and pump still won't run, gotta think "pump". If you have someone listen at the filler when you turn the key on there's no "hum"? Might try banging on the tank with a mallet or piece of 2x4. If you then get it to run going to be something inside, either pump or wiring.

Old 10-29-06, 05:16 AM
G
I used the old sender, it's only my plow truck for personal use, didn't want to pay $200.00 for a new sender if I didn't need it. I wire brushed all over the top of the old sender and cleaned the lock ring up pretty good. Could I be getting a bad ground from the wire thats on the gas tank right on the sending unit hole. I ran a new ground wire to that, maybe it's not getting a good ground where the lock ring locks the sending unit in itself?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: