A question for U (Warming up Car)

Old 10-26-06, 11:06 AM
A question for U (Warming up Car)

I live in Canada where tempertures drop to below -30 degress in the winter.I have been told when u warm your car up befor driving that you should have it in Neutral And then again i have been told it doesn't make that big a difference leavin it in park while warming it up Anyone know which is better??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-06, 11:36 AM
Eh

Eh
I live in Canada also (Owen Sound, ON) and I have never heard to keep an automatic transmission in neutral for warm up.
Yes I can see not wanting to keep a manual transmission clutch held down for long periods being it would be hard on the engine thrust bearings but a automatic should be in park when parked and it will not harm a thing.
It will be safer that way.

Old 10-26-06, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It shouldn't matter. You just want the car warmed up enough so the transmission fluid is circulating and warm.

Old 10-26-06, 12:45 PM
does tranny fluid circulate while in park?

Old 10-26-06, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't think it would matter, if my understanding of automatic transmissions is right. When you are in Park or Neutral the transmission fluid is still circulating through the tranny, the torque converter however is not locked. So it would seem the fluid would still warm up.

Any tranny guys out there?

Old 10-26-06, 12:48 PM
nap
Absolutely.

The only difference between park and neutral is the parking pawl is engaged when it is in park.

A car shouldn't set to warm up anyway. You should start driving after the oil and fluids have had 1/2 a minute to a minute to circulate. A car will warm up faster when you are driving than just idling in park.

Old 10-26-06, 04:07 PM
my 2 cents

Park for saftey reasons only but not really any need to warm up very long 30 seconds and take it easy for a few miles drive like a old granny slow take offs nice and easy and it will warm up better under a load. Watch temp guage and when it starts to move to normal its all good.
Thats what I do when it gets cold by TX standards.

Old 10-27-06, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by michael van
Park for saftey reasons only but not really any need to warm up very long 30 seconds and take it easy for a few miles drive like a old granny slow take offs nice and easy and it will warm up better under a load. Watch temp guage and when it starts to move to normal its all good.
Thats what I do when it gets cold by TX standards.

I do the same in the New ENgland winters. Let the car warm up to operating temp and then drive like a grandma until I get to the hway

Old 10-27-06, 09:37 AM
Look it up in your owner manual and see if it say anything about it, if it does not say anything about Park/Newtral while warming it up, it does not make any different however, on some newer cars/trucks, some of them are recommended in certain way while warming it up for long period of time, on newer Dodge trucks, trans fluid does not flow in Park while on some GM, trans fluid does not flow in Newtral. Check on your owner manual.