1990 Chevy Astro Van - Fuel System Problems?

Old 05-16-05, 12:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1990 Chevy Astro Van - Fuel System Problems?

Hello all, I have a 1990 Chevy Astro Van. 4.3L. For a few months now it's been having some problems. We thought it was the fuel injectors and stuff so we cleaned everything and it will run for a few days then it will lose power like it's gasping for air. Then it you let it rest for a few days, it'll run just fine again. Any ideas? I can probably get more information if needed. Thanks.

Old 05-16-05, 01:16 PM
B
Is the eighth digit of the VIN a Z orW?
Where are when it happens? Interstate? Secondary roads?
What are u doing when it does it? Launching from a stop? Cruising at an even speed?

Old 05-16-05, 01:28 PM
J
Is the eighth digit of the VIN a Z orW? Z
Where are when it happens? Happens everywhere Interstate? Yes Secondary roads? Yes
What are u doing when it does it? Trying to drive normal, but when it starts 'gasping' I hold the throttle all of the way in. Launching from a stop? Sometimes it'll take it a second to start going. Like it'll be moving a little bit then it'll start moving fine. Cruising at an even speed? It'll start 'gasping' out of the blue Hope that helps.

Old 05-17-05, 06:32 AM
J
Anyone with any idea?

Old 05-17-05, 06:42 AM
J
Oh yeah another thing, sometimes it'll stall when you first start it. It actually stalls a few times before you can successfully get it going.

Old 05-17-05, 06:43 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Unless you just did, I'd change the fuel filter
Pull the codes
Check fuel pressure...while driving if at all poss.

Mileage?
Last tune-up?
Plugs wires cap rotor...

Old 05-17-05, 06:56 AM
J
I don't remember for sure if we changed the fuel filter but I'll do that. I have to wait to drive it because we have to put the new muffler back on.

Old 05-17-05, 02:19 PM
J
The fuel filter has been replaced recently.

Old 05-17-05, 03:40 PM
No one has asked ya yet so im gonna. Is your check engine light on? Does it come on when this happens? Even if it doesnt you might want to get a shop to attempt to pull codes. Thats the first place I start, before replacing parts unnecessarily.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 05-17-05, 04:31 PM
J
The check engine light does come on when this happens. I went out just now though and got the codes off the van with my autoscanner and surprisingly it said there were no faults. The van does seem to be running smoothly right now but like I said before, it would run fine for a few days then it'd start "gasping".

Old 05-18-05, 03:34 AM
Your condition is intermittent, so its highly likely that it is a loose connection somewhere. I would check all connectors on the engine and around the transmission. I worked on one of these once where someone had replaced the transmission and pinched the wiring that runs over top of the tranny. This small harness contained the fuel pump wiring and it was very difficult to get it going sometimes and sometimes it would go without a problem and then start acting up. This may not be your problem but you could certainly have a fuel pump trying to go out. I would start by hooking up a fuel pressure gage and driving with it hooked up until the condition re-occurs all the time monitor the gage to see if it varies.
Let us know what you come up with.
hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 10-26-06, 07:09 PM
Cool

Hello I was wondering if anyone can help me
I Have a similar problem With my 87 astro van
I can start the car up drive it for about 5 miles then when i am in traffic or just driving down side streets the car the car will stall. when i try to start the engine back up i need to hit the gas pedal. When I continue driving if i press the car moderately the car sounds like it is choking and stalls out. If i park the car on the side of the road and give it a half hour break i can get another 3 miles out of it till it inevitably stall out again,

Do you guys know if i would have to replace the fuel injectors
fuel pump
fuel filter???
Any suggestion would be really aprreciated.

Old 10-27-06, 03:26 PM
It is possible that you have an air or fuel issue, but it is also likely that you have a plugged catalytic converter. Do you have a check engine light on? Is this van EFI or is it carbureted?
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: