Overheating Problems

Old 10-27-06, 06:38 AM
DJF
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overheating Problems

I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee that has began to overheat. The heater has also started to blow cold. My friend at work told me this is probably a thermostat issue. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-06, 06:52 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Probably thermostat, could be low coolant level.

Check your upper radiator hose when the engine has warmed up a little. If it's still cold, change thermostat.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-27-06, 08:28 AM
DJF
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks...

I work on my car out of necessity, not out of desire. As such, I've been learning as the needs have arisen. I'm curious as to know how to tell if a thermostat is stuck open or closed?

Old 10-27-06, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
When a thermostat is stuck open it is like not having one and it takes the vehichle longer to reach operating temp. Stuck shut won't allow the coolant in the radiator to circulate thru the block, it will overheat in short order.

Usually when a car overheats it will have a hot heater also. I'm not sure of the differences between an 89 and a 90 [mine] and there are also differences between the 4 cyl and the 4.0 My jeep [4.0] has 2 fans, 1 belt driven clutch fan and 1 electric fan. Make sure both are operational.

A dirty radiator won't cool near as well as a clean one. It is hard to check the condition of the rad on a jeep but you can inspect the coolant color - it should be green. If it is rusty looking, you need to flush the radiator and install new coolant.