Shaky Front End after Tranny Replacement 199 Ford Ranger ( part 2 )

Old 10-28-06, 01:18 PM
Shaky Front End after Tranny Replacement 199 Ford Ranger ( part 2 )

Thanks for the replies to my first post, just wanted to add a little more info

original post
1999 ford ranger 4 cylinder automatic
just had a rebuilt tranny put in at 95000 miles and getting a vibration through steering wheel at acceleration from stop and also upon stopping occurs at about 1 - 10 miles per hour
actually seems to be lessening as driving but still there
just picked up as shop was closing for weekend
want to seem informed when I go back monday
thanks

added info

The vibration I get is slight when driving directly forward but very pronounced when taking a hard right or left turn and at very low speed...around 5 mph such as when turning out of my drive way or turning at a stop light....disappears when straightened back out or picking up speed???????????????
was not occuring when I dropped off truck for tranny but present when driving off lot when picking up
unfortunately they did me a favor and waited for me to pick it up after closing and I actually left as the shop manager did too
haven't been able to get a hold of anybody over weekend

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-06, 02:07 PM
nap
Was any other work done?

Old 10-29-06, 02:48 AM
no,..none that was requested anyhow

Old 10-29-06, 07:05 AM
nap
I was trying to figure out what may be the problem. I think most here are having the same problem I am which is not being able to figure out what the garage did to cause this.

a few things I would look at:

trans mount; be sure all mounting bolts are tight, the rubber is in good condition

midship bearing; I don;t think you have one but if you do, the same checks as the trans mount.

trans mount crossmember; be sure all bolts are tight

engine mounts; same checks as all the other mounts. the suspicion here is they did not support the motor when removing the trans and may have broken the rubber allowing some odd movement of everything

be sure the rear u-joint is in its yoke squarely and the retaining bolts are tight. You might consider removing the straps and rotating the driveshaft 180 to check a possible problem there.

If it does not change anything, I would put it back as was.

If they changed the u-joints, be sure any retaining clips are actually in place. I have seen people screw up a u-joint install and couldn't get the retaining clips in place and left it. The u-joint could be binding because a needle bearing had fallen over inside one of the bearing cups and was forced together.

Atually this applies even if they didn;t replace the u-joints since when removing the rear driveshaft connection, the bearing caps can fall off. If a needle bearing fell within the cap and was not noticed it could cause some problems.

look for any dents or damage to the driveshaft. If they dented it, could be bent.

cant't imagine why they would have pulled the wheels but if they might have, be sure the wheels are actually on straight and lugs tightebed properly. If they did pull the wheels, you might have a bad tire that got rotated to the front. Often bad tires or bent wheels are less noticable when on the rear.

Old 10-29-06, 05:50 PM
thanks for all the help
my thoughts actually lean towards a coincidental secondary problem that's sprung up at the same time,.perhaps a broken belt in tire or bad ball joint
just hate putting out $1800. 00 and still having more work to do

Old 10-29-06, 06:12 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Kramsee1957
coincidental secondary problem that's sprung up at the same time,.perhaps a broken belt in tire do
that was my suspiciion with the rotated tires.