Squeal in heater fan or blower

Old 11-03-06, 08:31 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeal in heater fan or blower

I own a 2002 Infinity I35 with 74k miles. The heater and a/c are working but the noise coming from the blower area is getting louder. It is a definite squeal. The engine is not malfunctioning.The squealing has been going on for some time but it wasn't making any consistent noises until today.

Old 11-03-06, 08:43 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
The noise is probably coming from dry bearings in the fan motor. I would remove the fan/motor and see if you can diassemble it to lube them. Sometimes it's a little difficult, but it will save the motor for a few more miles.

The noise won't take care of itself, though. It'll get worse until the bearings go out altogether.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 11-04-06, 06:57 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
squeal in blower motor

Thank you ,Bob,makes sense. I had a look at the area of the motor,it doesn't look like that it will be difficult to get at. But I would like the advice of someone who has more expeirence and advise me of exactly how to go about getting the motor out. Thanks a bundle.

Old 11-04-06, 10:05 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
They're little squirrel cage jobs. On the ones I've worked on the mounting is by three bolts through a flange attached to the motor.

Take off the nuts, disconnect the power wires and pull out the unit. If you can dismantle it the motor is held together by two long bolts. Take note of the two brushes that contact the copper track on the armature. They're spring loaded and will have to be carefully held up to reassemble the motor. It's not too hard to do, just look it over real well as you take it apart.

I imagine a new one would run over a hundred dollars, so it would pay to try to save that one.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: