TPS problem

Old 10-30-06, 08:45 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
TPS problem

Hello,
Last week the "check engine" light lit up in my 1998 mitsubishi mirage DS. I was concerned so I took it to a couple of auto zones (just to be sure) so they can check it, what they told me is that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) needed to be changed. I would like to change it myself, but I would like to know how to do so, some info (preferible an image) on where the sensor is located, and the position it needs to be put in.
Thanks so much in advance...

Old 10-30-06, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can't help you with the picture, but, it will be attached to your throttle body. Follow the tube where your air filter box is attached to and trace it up to where it connects into the motor area. Right where the intake tube connects to, is the throttle body. The sensor will be attached to this usually with a small plug with wires.

Under hood, center, rear engine area, mounted on throttle valve assembly.

buy the part and look for it where I told you. Should not be too difficult.

Old 10-31-06, 06:45 AM
L
Smile

thanks so much

Old 10-31-06, 10:38 AM
L
Sorry to be a pain, but I have been reading some other posts and it seems there is more to it than just replace the TPS. Are adjustments necessary if it is replaced? Is there a way to test the one in the car to make sure that's the problem? Some people experienced other problems with the car (like shaking or hessitating) but other than the check engine light, I have had no problems with the car. An one more thing, when I am ready to change it, is there a specific setting or adjustment i need to make (like changing the voltage?)?
Thanks again.

Luis

Old 10-31-06, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replace it, if something feels wierd, leave the battery disconnect for about...12 hrs. This will reset the TCM/PCM (computers) and learn the new part.

Old 10-31-06, 04:16 PM
Yes, you'll need to adjust the TPS after installed, I don't have the number in my head right now, you'll need an DC digital volt meter for adjusting the TPS, the computer needs to know when the engine is at idling and when it's WOT.

Old 11-01-06, 08:59 AM
L
Originally Posted by New guy
Yes, you'll need to adjust the TPS after installed, I don't have the number in my head right now, you'll need an DC digital volt meter for adjusting the TPS, the computer needs to know when the engine is at idling and when it's WOT.
Thanks guys. Does anybody know what is the number it needs to be adjusted to? Once again, this is the tps of a mitsubishi mirage, '98 DS.
Much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: