87 integra idles way high

Old 10-31-06, 01:40 AM
87 integra idles way high

87 Integra LS, 5 door. 1.6L engine, automatic tranny. 120K.

Idles really high when cold, but settles down to normal once it warms up. If it's something easy and cheap to fix I will, otherwise I will just live with it.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-06, 07:28 AM
how high?

how high is high?
... and how about some history? has it always done this? did you just buy this car?

They all idle really fast maybe (2000 rpm +) at first but start to come down in about 10 seconds or when you put it in gear. If idle is normal when temp. is normal things may be normal. If warm-up takes too long check coolant level and bleed if required. Also check for stuck open tstat.

Check for vacuum leaks, but you are probably ok.

Old 10-31-06, 09:27 PM
Sorry...here ya go.

I've owned the car for about six years now, and about a year to a year and a half ago this problem occured. I've just been living with it up until now, so I thought I'd post it in here to see if it's something relatively simple to fix. I haven't really done much to the car. I replaced the right CV joint axle when I first got it cause the boots were torn. I just recently had to replace the left front lower control arm cause the ball joint separated, and I've done the brakes on all fours. I live in California, Bay Area, and I've had it smogged every two years...oh yeah, had to replace the cat converter to get it to pass the last time, but the idle problem was already apparent at that time. I've only put about seven thousand miles on it since I've had it. It's just a spare car right now, but I may have to start driving it more often pretty soon...16 year old coming on line.

When it's cold, it will idle at around 2K to start, then gardually climb to around 2.5K, where it will hover untill the engine warms up and it will gradually drop to a normal idle. Sometimes it will drop rapidly and then snap right back to the 2.5K, like it's going to die but then it reignites itself. It's really weird. Once it warms up it runs fine and idles at a normal rpm. Of course putting it in gear will cause the idle to drop a bit, but it really slams into gear at those high rpm's. That can't be good for the tranny.

Well, that's about all I can think of that may be pertient. I am a mechanic, just not cars, but I should be able to do just about anything that doesn't require any special tools or equipment.

Hope it helps. Thanks for the interest.

Randy

Old 11-01-06, 10:12 PM
So, do you still think this is normal?