A/C hooked to Dodge transmission? What the...???

Old 10-31-06, 02:40 PM
WFO
A/C hooked to Dodge transmission? What the...???

My wife's friend just took her new Dodge Magnum to the dealer for transmission problems (leaking transmission fluid). The dealer told her (and I quote);

"The air conditioner drain hose has leaked water into the transmission and displaced the transmission fluid. The damage is already done."

I have suggested that perhaps she should change dealers (to put it mildly) but she thinks they'll do right by her.

Am I being skeptical, or is this possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-06, 03:41 PM
If that was his statement, run to another dealer. The A/C discharge has NOTHING to do with the trans...........however, the trans fluid does run thru the radiator to be cooled. If that is what he is talking about, it may be correct, and not cheap. That would probably involve a trans rebuild and a new radiator. But if the guy can't expain simply what the problem is, another dealer.

Old 10-31-06, 04:11 PM
If you bring it to another dealer, they will tell you the same " A/C drain leaks into the tranny fluid" and contaminated the fluid, why? because that's what it is, if the other dealer say different, ask them look into service bulletin before open their mouth.

Let them fix it as per Technical Service Bulletin recommended, it's under warranty anyway.

Old 10-31-06, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The A/C has nothing to do with the radiator either. The A/C condenser is just mounted to the radiator, but nothing connecting the two. Only thing I can think of that there is a bad seal in the tranny allowing road water to get in? Even that is difficult to understand. The Stealership is blowing some serious..........you know what up your you know what.

Old 10-31-06, 04:27 PM
Before you guys kicking foot in the mouth..

2005 - 2006 (LX/LE) 300/Magnum/Charger
NOTE: This bulletin applies to LX/LE vehicles equipped with a NAG1 transmission
(sales code DGJ) that were built prior to December 2005 with a
TRANSMISSION build date of July 08, 2005.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Water may leak past the transmission oil fill tube (dipstick tube) seal. Dependent upon the
amount of water accumulation in the transmission oil, the customer may experience a
transmission shudder vibration and/or an audible high frequency buzz-like sound. The
shudder vibration or buzz-like sound may be most noticeable during light acceleration
where partial application of the torque converter clutch (TCC) in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear
occurs.
The shudder/buzz condition may be due to the torque converter clutch and a “stick-slip”
condition caused by contaminated transmission oil/fluid. The transmission fluid
contamination may be caused by water intrusion past the transmission fill tube seal.

Old 11-01-06, 04:16 AM
WFO
Originally Posted by New guy
Before you guys kicking foot in the mouth..
I'm not questioning whether water is actually in the transmission, and certainly not questioning the damage water will do there. I'm questioning the likelyhood of condensate from the AC being the source.

Old 11-01-06, 02:40 PM
A/C drain tube position, water drains out during A/C usage, dripping on top of trans housing and running down, some of the water ended up on top of trans dipstick tube and leaks thru the tube seal.

Old 11-01-06, 03:01 PM
I stand corrected, if it is under warranty, never mind what they say is the problem, as long as they fiix it.
But I can't believe that A/C condensate dripping from an open hose can contaminate the trans fluid. POOR DESIGN!!!