Trans Am running poorly

Old 11-01-06, 06:11 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Trans Am running poorly

I have an 86 Trans am 5.0 (H) carburated my car started acting up one day in the driveway sounds like it is missing at idle when I drive it, it is power lacky and when I step on the gas it shakes because of this I have replaced the catalytic converter, spark plugs, oxygen sensor, ECM, TPS, replaced and checked vacuum lines any ideas what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-06, 09:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow there could be a hundred things that would cause that. I would start by finishing your tune up. Replace (if you haven't recently) cap and rotor (if still available on an 86), plug wires (make sure they are not touching), and air and fuel filters. If that doesn't fix your problem you haven't wasted anything as it should be done every 50,000 miles or so. Next I would try checking cylender presure then valve lash. If no help there rebuild the carb. At this point if you still have not found the problem you might be looking at a vacuume leak (between carband intake or intake and heads if you correctly checked all lines.), a flat cam lobe, or a dead lifter. Ok thats not a hundred things but it should get you started.

Old 11-02-06, 02:28 PM
M
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I would double check your plug wires for correct distributor terminal and spark plug. Then, after dark, start your car and look for spark leakage or crossover.

Hope this helps,

Bob