Brake bleeding

Old 11-02-06, 12:57 PM
Brake bleeding

I recently replaced a broken brake line on my '94 Dodge Ram pickup. Now I want to bleed the brakes. I can find the wheel bleed screws, but I can't find the bleed screw for the master cylinder.
I have a Haynes manual for the truck, but all it says is the bleed screw is on the back of the master cylinder. There are a couple of fittings on the master cylinder that may cover a bleed screw, but I don't want to remove them without knowing what I'm doing.
Anyone know where the bleed screw is?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 01:14 PM
on many trucks and cars i have seen, the brake bleed screw is on the brake caliper. all you do is put a hose on it and open the screw alittle with a wrench and make sure hose is under the brake fluid level in a jar. when pumping brake pedal while also making sure the fluid in master cylinder is not going down tube and wasting it in jar.

sorry if sounds confusing but there are suction kits to do this solo were you dont have to pump brake pedal. when no more air bubbles are going into jar from hose shut the screw and check the fluid level in master cylinder. top off if neccessary.

Old 11-03-06, 05:29 PM
What Door Doctor said

The only time I have ever bled the master cylinder I simply loosened the brake lines where they go into the cylinder.

I only did that because the brakes would not bleed and I was trying to see if that was the problem, it wasn't

Old 11-03-06, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1. Fill the master cylinder reservoirs.

2. Place absorbent rags under the fluid lines at the master cylinder.

3. Have an assistant depress and hold the brake pedal.

4. With the pedal held down, slowly crack open the hydraulic line fitting(on master cylinder), allowing the air to escape. Close the fitting and have the pedal released.

5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 for each fitting until all the air is released.

Each line coming off the master can be bled from there.

Old 11-05-06, 06:05 AM
Thanks HotinOKC - I new the MC needed to be bled, just got confused by the book.

Search this Thread