97 Grand am

Old 11-02-06, 04:22 PM
WGW
97 Grand am

On these colder mornings, what would make a windshield have as much frost on the inside of the window as there is on the outside?
A heater core problem was suggested, but there is no smell of antifeeze in the car nor wet on the carpeting.
Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have frost on this inside of your windshield? Is it frost or condensation? Big difference. If it's frost, then....maybe you have a bad seal around your windshield allowing cold air to come in.

Heater core is easy to determine:
1. You have no heat
2. Car overheating (engine)
3. Leaking antifreeze within vehicle, OR firewall drain

Old 11-02-06, 05:07 PM
WGW
It is exactly the same as on the outside and has to be scraped to speed up the defrost function.
So if it is a seal problem, once eveything is clean I should be able to add a small bead of sylicone for the fix?

The engine does'nt overheat but interior heat is slow in coming, and it does eventually throw good heat.
I looked at changing the thermostat, but removing the manifold to get at the housing bolts first is'nt a job I really want to tackle, so I'm thinking that it might be better left to a mechanic.

Old 11-02-06, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you have moisture (a lot) in your car. As the temp goes down it is condensing on our windshield and eventually freezing. Check the weather stripping to make sure rainwater is not getting in your car, make sure all the windows are rolled up all the way etc.

Try using recirc or max air (whichever you have) with your a/c turned on a lot to help dry the air inside your car. Even if you turn the temp to hot it will go through the evap core first which helps remove moisture. Defrost does this automatically.

Are you getting moisture or frost on the other widows, dash, seats etc also?

John

Old 11-03-06, 05:01 PM
WGW
Thanks for the reply John;
Sometimes I feel like a real dope!
I've noticed in the past that the floor directly behind the drivers seat gets wet but I have'nt spent the time to find out where the water comes from because being in the rear, it has'nt been a huge problem (or so I thought).
As dumb as that may sound, this is my wifes car so I rarely drive it to have a chance to note deficiencies and rely on her to tell me about them instead.
If that would cause the frost on the front windshield, then I'll have to find the source and plug it.

Now that the weather has turned cold, she's reminding me of a few things on her car that could have been done during the summer months.

Regards

Old 11-03-06, 07:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It may be more then just a hole in the floor. I would be worried about corrossion (rusting). Aspecially seeing that you are in Canuckland with all the road salt, etc. Though I don't see it being major issue because you have a '97.

Standing water/moisture on metal = corrossion.