tow bar

Old 11-03-06, 01:17 AM
tow bar

can someone please explain how a tow bar hooks up to the car being towed.i need to purchase one off ebay but need to know if i have to hook to bumper,drill holes in bumper or does it hook somewhere else. the one i amlooking at is an adjustment tow bar i guess for width or to be narrow.what if bumper is not metal. thanks for any advice.
also i have been told using a chain ran through a pipe will be ok for towing short distances.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-06, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Let's start with what make & model, how far you're going, and does the car run? On some makes/models you can do serious transmission damage using a towbar or chain/rope.

Old 11-03-06, 10:07 AM
tow bar

i would be towing a 88 ford ranger standard shift & 2003 trailblazer automatic. 100 miles round trip
thanks for your advice.

Old 11-03-06, 10:14 AM
Sounds like your unsure of how a tow bar works, so I would recomend not using the bar. Why don't you just rent a tow dolly or trailer from U Haul? The tow dolly would work for the ranger but the one with the automatic would need to be trailered or take the drive shaft off.
Why not rent the trailer for a day and haul them both, last one I rented was cheap, 80 bucks or so maybe I can't remember.

Old 11-03-06, 02:20 PM
the right way

Having had one of those tow bars to tow a 1976 full size Chevrolet from California to Texas here is what I did. The bar should come with two U brackets these you need to attach to the frame using grade 8 bolts they will have 6 lines on the top.It is best to install then in a tension fashion instead of a shear position. The bumper is not a good place to hook up to. Use the exisiting holes in the frame. Get some external lights like the tow truck drivers have that stick on by a magnet and secure wires with zip ties.
You will need to remove the driveshaft on the automatic or it will be history. Remove one side of battery cable and unlock stearing wheel.
Also some good saftey chains will be required.
Or as said get a tow dolly from Uhaul for a lot less hassle.

Old 11-03-06, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Good insurance to drop the shaft on the Ranger as well. Some of the newer Ford manual transmissions (and other makes/models) can be damaged being towed on the drive wheels; don't know if an '88 is far enough back to be safe or not. Not all manual transmissions get proper lubrication running on the drive wheels as is generally thought.